Abelton guitar rig performance set up

Get help from other SoftStep users.
SLP

Abelton guitar rig performance set up

Postby SLP » Tue May 21, 2013 9:15 am

I'm interested in how others set up for live gigs so am looking for improvement ideas to share.

Currently I use a 12step for triggering samples and for effect send off/on on top row. Softstep is for stomp boxs, chains, looper, and verb mix. I only use one program so everything is always accessible and to limit myself.
I have 4 tracks: bass track, clean track, distortion, and midi for a baritone and synth access guitar.

Racks are contained with in the tracks and chains are enabled/disabled on top and bottom of ss pads(grig off'd as well to save CPU). This also turns on/off compressors and eq to level out gain at the same time. I also use slew to smooth out tone transition and effect fades.

I play in a instrumental dirt jazz dance rock duo where about 80% of the songs are charted but with room for live wiggle, so instead of having everything planned for each song like pop music I like to have some room for improvising my tone. Wannabe Charlie hunter meets les clay pool meets sphongle,

I'm thinking of getting another ss so I can have more control with out having to use top bottom of pads because this can be tricky foot work. Again I like to have everything accessible instead of using different program's. I thought about going back to fcb1010 for switches but I really like the ss portability and flexibility. Really can't me matched once you master the editor.

I use a k10 and iem for monitor, send a stereo feed to house when i can. rack mount a motu with a gi-20 and Mac mini. I opted for Mac mini for cost and with 16gb ram and abelton 9 it's pretty smoking fast.

the current challenges
the physical aspect of top bottom pad,
forgetting what's on with the 12step sends,
setting up the monitor screen and keyboard(looking for monitor mounting ideas)
Getting good mix between using ear buds and k10 and house feed.
Playing good music

K thanks for any thoughts.
adamqlw

Re: Abelton guitar rig performance set up

Postby adamqlw » Wed May 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Wow man that sounds amazing. I would LOVE to hear your band, have you got youtube/soundcloud clips?

Since you are using top/bottom patches, I guess you are using it in hosted mode? I've stick with standalone because hosted is such a memory hog.. but considering the implications of opening up the number of things I can control I think I might just get around to using hosted mode.

I'm using a K10 as well, with an Axe FX II. I'm building a little patch in Max to translate my Program and Scene changes to another set of MIDI program messages, so I can switch patches on Absynth (which I control using my guitar, via JamOrigin's MIDI Guitar plugin). I had also toyed with the idea of adding a second SoftStep to control Ableton as a looper, but it seems a signifacant layer of complexity to add on as I'm still struggling with integrating the AxeFXII + Absynth + SoftStep in a seemless/painless fashion.

I do use Guitar Rig as well on my "ultra-mobile" rig. It's great for effected tones but I find the raw amp tones somewhat lacking... I've been using 2 instances of guitar rig to sandwich an instance of S-Gear. That way I get Guitar Rig for pre/post effects, and S-Gear for amps. I might have to revisit that an explore Guitar Rig + IRs through Reflektor, although the cost-benefit analysis of that whole exercise comes out negative at the moment. Perhaps when I am more free!
adamqlw

Postby adamqlw » Wed May 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Regarding a monitor screen, how about using an iPad and a remote desktop client to connect to your laptop over VNC? You can easily mount the iPad on a micstand.
SLP

Postby SLP » Wed May 22, 2013 7:35 pm

adamqlw wrote:Regarding a monitor screen, how about using an iPad and a remote desktop client to connect to your laptop over VNC? You can easily mount the iPad on a micstand.

Thanks I've tried that at home and seams like a good solution but its so small. I wish there was a larger ipad.i also tried an old elo touch screen. Worked on 10.7 but not 10.8. I'm thinking of getting a larger rack and mounting a monitor on a sliding rack that pops out. In dream land it really should just be for safety but for some reason chains are still on when I save project with everything off. So I have to do some at show editing sometimes.

Your rig sounds awesome. Big fan of ax fx. I've got a friend in a band called Doppio and he uses an axe FX ll and its wild sounding. Funny most youtube videos I've found are Classic rock/metal sounds.

Thanks for lead on s-gear never heard of them before. I do like the rehearsal recordings of when I was playing through amps a bit more. Sounded like a place, rather than the current rig sounds like a sound, if you know what I'm saying.

I'm currently shy sharing because of the quality of our recordings. I've played a few shows here in sf with the rig but the music insnt quite there yet. About to do another promo video with current rig for upcoming show. Ill post Monday.
How about your self?
adamqlw

Postby adamqlw » Thu May 23, 2013 11:53 am

I've got some stuff up on soundcloud (www.soundcloud.com/adamqlw) but I'm not much of a live guy unfortunately... Lineup problems so I just record ideas at home and shop around for interested parties :)

There's definitely some adjustment in playing with amp sims, mostly in getting used to the "front of house" amp tone versus a live amp. Still though, I consider adapting to that change beneficial in the long run. I can practice anytime of day, switching to headphones if necessary, without losing tonal inspiration. And I am much more aware of what my audience hears, and can consistently replicate that quickly no matter where I go. I have been using DI and amp sims exclusively for about 8 years now, and I have no intention of going back to the "old days". It's just far too convenient!

I've recently got into MAX/MSP to solve the problem of translating my program changes on the Axe FX onto Absynth so I've been going full geek lately. Hopefully I can have tha all sorted within a month and get back to playing and practicing more :P
SLP

Postby SLP » Fri May 24, 2013 10:02 pm

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KpTZ7ZAnTSc

I used some rehearsal tracks for this video. It's all live recorded so I guess you could get an idea of the music.
Forgot to check your sound cloud. Working on thus thing all day. Looking forward to it though!

I think i realised the biggest thing I miss about amps is that when you play in a room a lot you get used to that room with that amp. That kind of becomes your sound. Now that I'm monitoring through iem my tone changes a lot. Does make me think of what my fingers are doing a bit more though. :D
adamqlw

Postby adamqlw » Sat May 25, 2013 3:58 am

LOL that was a cool video man. If you were in Singapore I would definitely come down and check you guys out. But sadly... I guess that's highly unlikely :(
SLP

Postby SLP » Mon May 27, 2013 6:01 am

Hey Man those are some great tunes. Really well done covers and some nice instrumental originals.
I actually go to Malaysia once a year for my in laws. When to Singapore for the first time this year. Play shows there when we are there with Az Samad if you know him. Some great talent over there.
SLP

Postby SLP » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:17 am

Show went well. We lost but to a 13 pice funk band.
Probably our best performance(my second with ss and mac mini). Feed back was I was staring at my computer and feet to much. Unfortunately I also couldn't hear all the micro effects I programed.

So going back to drawing board to simplify set up. I'm really hoping that playing through a computer will bring better results in the end product of performance but I'm not sure at the moment.
Upgraded to a ssd drive and wow huge performance boost for $140
adamqlw

Postby adamqlw » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:50 pm

13-piece! Maybe Slipknot began life as a funk band :D

That's one thing I don't like about having the full-blown rig. Even a simple looper throws off my concentation and the (already poor) stage presence suffers :( Interesting point about the micro effects, I think I get carried away with the details when making patches at home but live it's like nobody (not even me) gives a ratsass. It most likely can't be heard behind the pounding rhythm section :P

I think a computer be a great tool in centralzing all the control in the rig, provided that interaction is pretty much restricted to changing between presets with minimum intervention, particularly anything that requires using hands. The moment I take my hands off the guitar it's a recipe for disaster. Finding my feet is difficult enough I must confess :(

An SSD is TOTALLY the way to go though! Hands down the best value for money performance booster you can possibly do for your computer. That was the biggest bottleneck for years. I popped one in my mid-2010 MBP and it breathed new life into it. Now I use it as my main audio computer (got to admit, Core Audio and MIDI implemntation on the Mac beats the PC side hands down :().

PS: Thanks for the tip on the top/bottom layout. I made a nice hosted-mode patch for my Axe FX that does something I've been trying to sort out for months now (8 scene changes on the top 5 buttons, looper and utility control on the bottom 5). My feet are slowly finding my way around, but it looks like I'll finally be able to throw in some simple loops live so the rhythm guitar doesn't vanish when I take a solo.

Also thanks for the props on the tracks. Sadly the instrumentals were not meant to be instrumentals, but we have had absolutely no luck finding a lyricist/singer :(

Let me know if you are ever out in Malaysia (or Singapore) again man, I have relatives out that way and maybe I'll stop by :D

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”