pedal use

Get help from other SoftStep users.
veloopity

pedal use

Postby veloopity » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:51 am

I have plugged a Roland EV-5 in and it is recognized in the calibrate window. Now how do I map CC values to it so that I can use it as, say, a volume pedal in Bidule? (in Standalone mode?) I don't see this described in the manual but maybe I just didn't understand.

-Michael
vanceg

Re: pedal use

Postby vanceg » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Simply use the "Pedal" as the source in a Modline.

I know, this is a very brief answer - but let me know if you need more. There is no specific pedal programming window the way there is an area for each Key. What you do instead is select "Pedal" as the source in a modline of any numbered key, or the Nav Key.
Kaspar

Postby Kaspar » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:46 am

vanceg wrote:
> There is no specific pedal programming window the way there is an area for
> each Key. What you do instead is select "Pedal" as the source in
> a modline of any numbered key, or the Nav Key.

So, if you select it for one key, the pedal works for the entire scene?
Or, can different pedal settings be used on different keys?
Tom@KMI
KMI Moderator

Postby Tom@KMI » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Kaspar wrote:
> So, if you select it for one key, the pedal works for the entire scene?
> Or, can different pedal settings be used on different keys?

Yes, the pedal source works across the entire scene no matter which key's modline it is put into. It is divorced from the key information, so that using the pedal in key isolation mode will not freeze out other keys. Inversely, your pedal won't freeze up when you play other keys.

cool tip: you can control multiple CCs at once with the one expression pedal.
even cooler: you can set parameters of the pedal's multiple modlines differently to modulate the CCs differently across the travel of the pedal.
Kaspar

Postby Kaspar » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:02 pm

Would it be possible to connect an external footswitch(es) instead of the expression pedal - could it work?
SarahKMI
KMI Moderator

Postby SarahKMI » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:05 pm

No I'm sorry, we only support Expression pedals for use with the Expression port.

-Sarah Howe
vanceg

Postby vanceg » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:55 pm

What I do is I set the Pedal function on the NAV key - this way I don't have to remember "what Key did I use to assign the Pedal control". The Nav Key settings are saved with a Scene, so functionally this is just like saving the Pedal assignment as part of a Key preset.

I echo Tom's comment that it's VERY powerful to use Pedal as the source on multiple Modlines: I have one Scene in which a pedal turns on a delay when I move the pedal from the "heel" postion, then as I move more toward the "toe" position, it turns the mix of the delay up as it turns the mix of a reverb down. When I get to about halfway through the pedal's travel between heel and toe, a filter is turned on and starts filtering the high end from the delay, at the same point the delay feedback is also being controlled by the pedal movement. RIght at the very end of the pedal travel (near the toe position) a distortion is turned on very quietly but turns up very quickly as I move the pedal just a little bit to the very end of it's travel.

Modlines are amazingly powerful that way!

Vance

Tom@KMI wrote:
> Kaspar wrote:
> > So, if you select it for one key, the pedal works for the entire scene?
> > Or, can different pedal settings be used on different keys?
>
> Yes, the pedal source works across the entire scene no matter which key's modline it
> is put into. It is divorced from the key information, so that using the pedal in key
> isolation mode will not freeze out other keys. Inversely, your pedal won't freeze up
> when you play other keys.
>
> cool tip: you can control multiple CCs at once with the one expression pedal.
> even cooler: you can set parameters of the pedal's multiple modlines differently to
> modulate the CCs differently across the travel of the pedal.
ericzang

Postby ericzang » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:57 am

Kaspar wrote:
> Would it be possible to connect an external footswitch(es) instead of the
> expression pedal - could it work?

I have a work around to use a sustain pedal type footswitch, but it only works in hosted mode.

Connect a "normally closed" footswitch to an audio input on your interface. When this is pressed, some sort of signal is sent.

Use a drum trigger type plugin that will send a midi note when it senses a signal on that audio input. Send this note to midiyoke/IAC and then into SS's "settings" window and assign it to a MIDI IN letter. Now this letter can be a source for one of the SS modlines.

BTW, this only worked for me in SS version 1.1 I don't know why it didn't work in the previous version (which I will still use until I make the transition to standalone because its hosted mode seems more responsive than 1.1)

If you don't need SS functionality for your footswitch, of course you can simply route it from midiyoke/IAC directly back into your host's remote control functionality.
Kaspar

Postby Kaspar » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:17 am

SarahKMI wrote:
> No I'm sorry, we only support Expression pedals for use with the Expression
> port.

Well, I tried and it worked - sort of:
1) The footswitch plug needs to be half-way in in order to get contact - a bit fiddly.
2) SoftStep sends lots of data for the "virtual" intermediate positions - CC values go like 8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 18, 18 etc.
3) I tried it with a sustain pedal type footswitch, so the limitation is that as soon as I lift my foot the switch goes off again.
I don't have a guitar amp type switch at hand, but this might actually work better for switching applications.
Keith
Head Honcho

Postby Keith » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi,

If you use a switch that is partially inserted, it will change the pedal value. You can select in a modline and offset so that it goes positive when closed. If you set the Table to Toggle it will go from off to on.

- Keith

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”