USB Cables for Musicians

Get help from other SoftStep users.
rad3d

USB Cables for Musicians

Postby rad3d » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:06 am

So - what types of USB cables is everyone using for long runs to their SoftStep?

I have a small, but pretty complex front of stage setup. I'm a guitarist, but use the SoftStep and several other USB only MIDI controllers to run an Ableton Live setup that part of my Guitar Rack to the side or back of the stage. I'm putting together a USB cable snake/harness that will allow for quick setups at gigs.

I understand that the USB spec only truly allows for 15'. While I have been able to successfully use powered USB hub extenders for some of the other controllers for greater distances, I run the SoftStep in Standalone mode through the MIDI extender. Because of this, I need to limit my overall snake length to 15', as I don't think a Hub extender will work with it.

So - just interested in what cables everyone is using for longer runs to maintain the highest quality. I've had mixed results with different types of cables and was just wondering if there was anyone starting to manufacture more roadworthy USB cables for musicians yet.
SLP

Re: USB Cables for Musicians

Postby SLP » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:08 pm

I shop at mono price
http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=103&cp_id=10303

great place for quality cables connectors ect. No problems with there cables yet.
rad3d

Re: USB Cables for Musicians

Postby rad3d » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:04 am

Yup, was directed there by someone else. Just got some of their cables last week, and they seem to be a bit more musician friendly. Inexpensive, too.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”