SoftStep application using 1GB of memory

Get help from other SoftStep users.
gbevin

SoftStep application using 1GB of memory

Postby gbevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:06 am

Hi,

Since the first release I've been pretty disappointed with the SoftStep application on Mac. Does it really need to use almost 1GB of memory? This is a foot pedal application, yet it takes up more memory than much more advanced software. To be able to use this with a standard 4GB Mac that runs virtual instruments and such, the memory usage really has to come down. I'd say that 50-100MB would be a maximum.

Is this being worked on?

Thanks,

Geert
danny
KMI Moderator

Re: SoftStep application using 1GB of memory

Postby danny » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:19 pm

Hi Geert,
This is the main reason we built the Standalone functionality into the SoftStep editing software. Hosted mode is great for building and testing presets. Once your presets are completed, downloading them to the SoftStep and using Standalone mode will eliminate all system memory the SoftStep was previously using.
The application does use a bit of memory, although not all real memory being used at one single point in time. I have used the application along side some very RAM heavy sessions with Ableton and Logic with zero memory problems. I've even tested it with some of the biggest memory hungry sessions I've made, and still didn't have any difference in performance. I did my testing on a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro.
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi Geert
I am wondering where you get your 1gig figure from. The app only uses just over 100Meg of real memory, though it can,will and does allocate and report far more virtual memory being used - this is not anything to be particularly worried about, unless your hard drive is >90% full. Are you experiencing any performance deficit?
Also current OS's are increasing larger and 4gig is just standard entry-level requirement these days, and any serious user will naturally increase this amount, particularly if working in audio or video .

Cheers
Macciza
KMI StringPort_1650, SoftStep_VK2 v1.2 & MIDI Expander; Mac_Moore Guitar,
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
gbevin

Postby gbevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi Danny and Macciza,

Thanks for your reply. I attached a screenshot that clearly show 862MB of real memory (1,7GB of virtual memory). Danny, while you might not have any problems with memory usage, this really depends on every user, doesn't it. For playing software sampler instruments in a live situation I'm was very stretched thin before with 4GB and had to upgrade to 8GB. While at the moment, the SoftStep application doesn't create a problem for me, it definitely would have if I'd still be at 4GB. I find it quite ironic that SoftStep is using the most memory on my system, more than Bidule, Kontakt, ... while all you do is transform USB data into something else through a user-defined workflow. Being a software developer myself, it does seem to me that there should be some real opportunities for optimization. Anyway, if standalone mode gets the same features as hosted mode, then it really doesn't matter in practice. So lets hope that will be the case soon.

Thanks,

Geert
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-02-01 at 07.23.32.png
(92.19 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi Geert
Sorry just wanted to check you were not confusing virtual memory figures, but it seems you know some stuff.
What version are you running? I am on SoftStep v1.099 on 10.6 QC i7 iMac 4Gig (Upgrading ram soon ).
Have attached similar screen grab below . . .
[attachment=0]softstep_mem-grab.tiff[/attachment]
Attachments
softstep_mem-grab.tiff
softstep_mem-grab.tiff (60.73 KiB) Viewed 6619 times
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
gbevin

Postby gbevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm running SoftStep v1.099 on 10.6.6 MacBook Pro 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB. I'll try it on my brand new iMac later to see how much it uses up there. Strange that there's a difference like that. Thanks for checking at your end!
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:19 pm

Hi
Yeah strange - I quickly fired up v 1.03 and it was reporting around 650M.
Hmm wonder what the issue is.
OT.Do you do any Max development?
Will chat later, glad to contribute . . .
Cheers
MM
gbevin

Postby gbevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:22 pm

Nope, I don't do Max development. I work in C++ and Python at the moment, but have programmed with most popular platforms and programming languages. In terms of audio-specific 'programming', I do most of my tuning with Plogue Bidule since it allows for easy hosting of AUs and VSTs. It's what I base my live playing setup off of.
gbevin

Postby gbevin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:51 pm

This might be a clue, I saw Sarah's recent video and was surprised at how quickly SoftStep loads. When I start it up and takes 45 seconds (I timed it precisely) from application launch until being ready to interact with the foot pedal. I thought it might be a conflict with other MIDI drivers since I saw in them being scanned in the system logs, but even after deleting the NI and Motu drivers, SoftStep behaves the same.
gtodd876

Postby gtodd876 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:53 am

The software also takes around 45 seconds to load as well on my Macbook pro i7. It also uses up, close to 1 gig (and I only have 4) of real memory as well. Maybe it has something to do with macbook pros? I use the sofstep in standalone mode to get around this but then the downside is you are limited to 4 scenes.
http://vimeo.com/channels/gtmbass
Double Bass Live Looping

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”