SoftStep application using 1GB of memory

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Sam_K

Re: SoftStep application using 1GB of memory

Postby Sam_K » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:07 am

I am on Win7 64-bit with a Quad core 2.6Ghz processor, 4Gb of RAM and a 128Gb SSD system drive. On this system Win7 takes 12 seconds to boot to the desktop.

The SoftStep app however takes 45 seconds to load and initialise and takes 880Mb of physical memory (as reported by Windows Resource Monitor).

That is absolutely atrocious by any standard. I sincerely hope that KMI are seriously considering development of native applications instead of distributing a MAX patch. This is the sort of software quality I would expect for a prototype, not a commercial product.

Edit: In the mere 2-3 hours I've spent fiddling with the SoftStep App so far, I've also had it crash twice. I click on something and the pointer becomes the "waiting" pointer for a while, then "Not Responding" appears in the title bar and then a Windows pop-up asks me if I want to kill it. After killing the app it will then refuse to launch again until I have rebooted the machine.

Edit 2: Make that 5 crashes now. On this last time, windows was unable to force close the app window and then when I told windows to restart I got a Blue Screen of Death.
Stew

Postby Stew » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:19 am

As a potential new SoftStep purchaser I'm just wondering if this is still an issue.

My trusty ol' Macbook is only a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo with 2G of ram. If I lose 1G to the SoftStep app I'd be in trouble!
Peace,
soundog

Postby soundog » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:19 pm

Its using about 882 Mb on my MacBook 2.4 GHz, according to Activity Monitor. So, yeah, nearly 1Gb!
NoFi

Postby NoFi » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:18 pm

It seems even bigger with software v1.2, it is now 1.097 gb memory space on my pc according to the task manager.
But i certainly prefer the new version.
adamqlw

Postby adamqlw » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:47 pm

NoFi wrote:
> It seems even bigger with software v1.2, it is now 1.097 gb memory space
> on my pc according to the task manager.
> But i certainly prefer the new version.

Ditto.
Levous

Postby Levous » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:14 am

I came to this forum to see if there was something wrong with my set up that the software takes 45 seconds to launch. Looks like the official recommendation is to use stand alone mode. I can certainly live with that but its a shame as there are some features that the software provides that I'd like to take advantage of and, frankly, this is the ultimate tinkering device and I need the editor for that anyways...

So, KMI folks, please don't hesitate to contact me to help test software optimizations. I am willing to accept that getting something in our hands now may have meant that you couldn't polish the software but I beg you to get an expert on this. As has been posted elsewhere, and not in a respectful manner, 45 second launch time and atrocious memory utilization is a serious problem on resource constrained laptops in live performance situations.
shabby

Postby shabby » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:31 am

.. i m sorry i have to say.. i gave up..

the lack of features in standalone mode and the incredible heavy memory burden and unstable host mode + editor.. made me decide to sell my softstep.. for me it is unusable but far more important unreliable in live situations.. i work with several midi controllers and wii mote in one system containing osculator bomemidi translator and ableton live.. i have to (when its bad luck) unplug and restard my whole configuration off apps.. 3 to 5 times.. to find out in the middle of the set.. one thing stopped working..

furthermore i really miss.. led feedback when using with loopers like in ableton/

bye.. bye softstep

thanx supprt for the good replies to mail// and see u in Queneo?!
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:30 am

Well I'm surprised to find this thread still active, but not that users are still giving up in despair :)
I haven't given up with the softstep, but invested in some stick-on rubbery buttons, four for each pad, which give me better control of the four separate CC messages.
I then developed (& am still developing/tidying up) a Plogue Bidule patch to receive, transform & relay the midi cc's to trigger mobius (running as an AU plugin) functions & scripts, control various matrix routing functions, patch changes for an external fx unit, & trigger a small sampler bidule.
The only downside of the setup is that in order to turn those interfering backlights off, I have to load up the KMI software (more like a minute plus than 45 seconds), open 'settings', toggle the backlight button, then shut down the software! I'm still on v.1.1 & vk1, so don't know if v1.2 will switch it off permanently for next time I plug it in. Might try it out one day.
Anyway, the point is, here's a screenshot of my 2.53GHz macbookpro, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, of plogue bidule, running the softstep, mobius plug-in, recording five or six tracks of audio, routing, mixing, sampling & playing back on the fly.....
Real memory use? 120MB or so!!! So if I can get it to work on around a tenth of the RAM KMI can, a half decent programmer should be able to manage better than that.
An earlier version of the Bidule for softstep control has been posted here somewhere; it ain't elegant, but it works.
Dave
Attachments
Screen-shot-2012-01-03-at-1.jpg
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:30 pm

If you turn off the backlighting in Standalone mode (in the settings window) and then download to the board, the backlighting will be off permanently, even after unplugging and plugging back in.

And yeah, anybody can make a patch that does specifically what they want with the specific features they want and it will always be more efficient than a full-blown program that is trying to do everything that everybody wants it to do — they can leave out things that they don't need. Though, this isn't meant to imply that the editor absolutely can't be trimmed down resource-wise.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:37 am

"If you turn off the backlighting in Standalone mode (in the settings window) and then download to the board, the backlighting will be off permanently, even after unplugging and plugging back in."

It doesn't. Not with v 1.1 anyway. And it will go into 'downloading' & loop forever too. I don't have the standalone box, maybe that's why. I don't know. I hardly care any more either.

"....and it will always be more efficient than a full-blown program that is trying to do everything that everybody wants it to do..."

It might be trying, but it's also failing, sorry.

And since it's clearly aimed to a large extent at 'stomp-box guitarists' (& I've certainly been one of those), those neon backlights are causing the most problems precisely with... guitarists!! Even those with earthed equipment.
I've had guitars that picked up CB radio, TV stations, taxicabs, all sorts; but never had dedicated equipment that caused such problems before.

It's a brave try, & the small size/weight still does it for me, but I sure would like to disable them neons permanently. Even if it means prising the thing apart & snipping a wire or two. Can anyone post the sysex message that'll do it?

Dave

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”