SoftStep application using 1GB of memory

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Keith
Head Honcho

Re: SoftStep application using 1GB of memory

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:38 am

Hi -

Release version of Standalone will have 16 Scenes of internal memory on the actual Pedal Hardware. The 4 Scene release was just part of the Beta.
gtodd876

Postby gtodd876 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:51 am

Awesome!
http://vimeo.com/channels/gtmbass
Double Bass Live Looping
mocker

Postby mocker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:36 am

16 scenes : great !
Hey, btw, I'm a double bass looper too :-)
basvlk

Postby basvlk » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:02 pm

I have the same problem - SoftStep takes exactly 45 seconds to load, and it uses 865 MB memory (see screenshot).

I betcha there's something not quite right.
Attachments
screenshot.png
(83.04 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
danny
KMI Moderator

Postby danny » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:03 pm

The SoftStep application should take about 45 seconds to load initially. Sarah cut out the load time in her video to speed things up, so dont be worried its your machine when it takes longer to load.
gbevin

Postby gbevin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:11 pm

[quote="danny"]The SoftStep application should take about 45 seconds to load initially. Sarah cut out the load time in her video to speed things up, so dont be worried its your machine when it takes longer to load.[/quote]

Yeah, I was wondering about that, I've been doing similar things for tutorials videos I prepared. The memory usage is still worrysome though, certainly because it doesn't seem to be the case for everyone.
vanceg

Postby vanceg » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:27 am

Wow. 45 seconds to load! I know I'm on an older machine (2.13Ghz Core2Duo) and it's just over 3.5 minutes to load SoftStep for me. I know, I know....I'll be getting a newer machine soon!
mocker

Postby mocker » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:31 am

It is very long on an brand new iMac 27' too, so don't worry.
I really wonder why it's taking so much time to load, I thought RC1 would change that, but it's exactly the same.
An Unknown Artist

Postby An Unknown Artist » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:10 pm

I'm running Ableton Live 8 doing live looping of 3-4 instruments through an M-Audio Profire 2626 controlled in part by the Softstep. All channels are using VST or AU effects. On top of that, MIDI and audio are driving video in Qwartz Composer (though I'm also playing about with M4L to see if that is an alternative). As you can imagine, all of this in a live setup is scary as is but with a close to a 1GB memory footprint of the Softstep app in host mode, my MacBook Pro cannot keep up and I'm running into nasty sound latency issues. I'm ok with using the Standalone mode and loading my config into the hardware if that would serve my needs. But don't I lose pressure sensitivity and foot movement CC values on the pad in this mode or am I misreading the docs?
basvlk

Postby basvlk » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:01 pm

I think you're misreading the posts - not sure about pressure but CCs definitely work in standalone mode. I'm doing something similar, and really don't want a footcontroller software taking up any resources, so my softstep will only send midi out through the expander into a midi interface.

The Softstep Software takes up so much resources that as far as I'm concerned it is only useful for calibrating, programming and troubleshooting. The problem is that there is such a gap between standalone and hosted mode: can't transfer patches, some functionality disappears that it becomes really cumbersome going back and forth between the modes.

I still think SoftStep in standalone has awesome possibillities but it's pretty cumbersome. Then again programming the FCB1010 was pretty cumbersome too!

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”