Keyworx and Softstep in Ableton.

Get help from other SoftStep users.
sealpt

Keyworx and Softstep in Ableton.

Postby sealpt » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Hi all,

I don't own a Softstep yet, but am thinking about getting one. I am using Ableton live on a mac. My question is about keyworx.

Can you use Keyworx while using the other aspects of Softstep at the same time? That is to say, Can I trigger a scene to record in Ableton on one key of the Softstep, record my take in that clip in Ableton, then use another key, or same key to trigger on the Softstep to do an "undo" command for when I mess my first take at my audio recording up, then hit a key and record a clip again all without touching the mouse on my mac?

Also, can the directional arrows be assigned to move from clip to clip so I can go to any clip in ableton and hit record on that clip?

Or does the Softstep only do the keyworx only, and another bank in softstep for the midi triggers?

Thank you,
Shawn
mocker

Re: Keyworx and Softstep in Ableton.

Postby mocker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 pm

From what I understand, Keyworx only works by itself so far. They say they'll include a keyworx scene to be added in the main Softstep application.

Meanwhile, all the operations you described are easily doable in Ableton Live via midi, with the Softstep and the app (and without Keyworx which you only need to perform keystroke emulation).
sealpt

Postby sealpt » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:15 am

Not to turn this into an Ableton post or anything, but how can you undo via your foot controller if "undo" is only available via a keystroke? Are you talking about using another app such as "Midistroke", or "Control selected track"?

The reason I ask is that I was hoping to get the best of the midi world and keystroke world in one foot pedal and with one application program. I thought if the Softstep can do all that in the same pedal at the same time, then that would be the pedal for me.

Thank you for your time,
Shawn
mocker

Postby mocker » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:24 pm

You can 'undo' using Midistroke, midiPipe or Bome Midi Translator for instance. But, again, next Softstep version (1.2) is supposed to have a Keyworx scene that you'll be able to use along with your other scenes, in standalone mode for instance. KMI people, correct me if I'm wrong.
SarahKMI
KMI Moderator

Postby SarahKMI » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Mocker is correct, we will be including the KeyWorx scene in Standalone mode so that you can download the scene that works with KeyWorx along with your other scenes that send MIDI Data out. This will be in the next version of the SoftStep software.

In the meantime if you're using Ableton Live you can actually assign everything to key commands if you use the Key Learn function instead of the MIDI Learn function. This way you can use KeyWorx to turn on and off effects, trigger a clip to play, record a loop, etc... It wouldn't work well for knobs or faders but anything that's just a button should work fine like this.

Hope this helps!

-Sarah Howe
sealpt

Postby sealpt » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Sounds great! This looks like a really cool pedal to own.

Shawn
Sam_K

Postby Sam_K » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:03 pm

You don't need Keyworx at all to do what you want in Abelton Live. Check out this custom MIDI Remote Script, I am pretty sure it will allow you to do everything you want.

http://stc.wiffbi.com/
sealpt

Postby sealpt » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:19 am

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the link. I have actually downloaded his application and am exploring it now. More information is always a great help.

Shawn
Headrc

Postby Headrc » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:54 am

So the version of Softstep that integrates Keyworx is not yet available and right now it is an either/or for Keyworx and Softstep?
mocker

Postby mocker » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:01 am

Yep ! I hope 1.2 will arrive soon.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”