Hmm. We've seen this before with QuNeo before (firmware update stalling). If this is happening I would suggest trying this weird little thing that can sometimes fix the problem (at least it did with QuNeo):
1. Connect the SoftStep and open the Advanced Editor.
2. Begin the firmware update, either by the automatic prompt or by going up to the Hardware menu and selecting Update/Reload Firmware.
3. When the update begins and the progress bar appears, disconnect the SoftStep for a second or two and then reconnect it.
4. You should get a message that your firmware is out of date and need an update — do so. If this doesn't happen, manually initiate the firmware update.
5. See if the update goes through properly.
That seemed to fix the issue with some QuNeo users who experienced this.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073