Live Looping in Ableton Live w/SoftStep2

Get help from other SoftStep users.
guitarfukit

Re: Live Looping in Ableton Live w/SoftStep2

Postby guitarfukit » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:49 am

Hey Ff,

Many thanks again for help. If it wasnt for your preset, I would've been completely lost. Now i'm only partially lost haha I went ahead and purchased Bomes based on your recommendation but just trying to learn all this midi stuff.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:03 am

For the record, I did include a M4L patch that observes loopers in Live and lights up the LEDs on the SS. It's really basic, and only works in a certain setup (the way I organized the Demo set) but could be expanded to be a little more user friendly if there is interest.

You can find the Live pack in the extras folder of the newest editor distribution.
forrestfuzz

Postby forrestfuzz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:09 pm

wow i somehow overlooked that...
when i updated my SS i already had my system down but HELL YEAH i am interested
i am going to check it out right now
i know nothing about M4L but i also love to learn

:D
forrestfuzz

Postby forrestfuzz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:12 pm

i must warn GF...this rabbit hole goes very very deep and you might not have a social life for awhile HAHAHA :lol:
forrestfuzz

Postby forrestfuzz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:14 pm

hello the other support
i checked out the looper template and i am getting the loopers to work i am not getting any led feed back
i am on a pc with live 9 with M4L
i have midi yoke installed
any help would be great
thanks
forrest
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:32 am

For the LED feedback you will need to have the output SSCOM port 1 set to track and remote ON in your midi preferences in Live. You will then need to have the LooperObserver track send it's MIDI out to SSCOM port 1 on ch. 1

Without these settings in place, there was no way for the SS to hear what Live was telling it. Let me know if this gets you going!
guitarfukit

Postby guitarfukit » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:00 pm

Hey guys, many thanks for the updated info!

@KMI - I'll try and give it a look but there is a 99.9% chance I will have no idea how it works so I am hoping that forrest will be gracious enough to upload the preset once all the kinks have been worked out.

@forrest - I am prepared to go down the rabbit hole if need be but unfortunately due to my newbie level of midi knowledge, I dont even know where the hole is haha!

What advantage would using this new feature have in comparison with yourbcurrent setup? I was able to get it to work last week and was using that as my template to experiment off of.

One simple question I already have is do i need to have the softstep software running while bomes mt is running? Ive already for ableton, guitar rig, sometimes traktor, this adrnalinn plugin so am concerned having so many programs open causes a problem?

Lastly, if I wanted to add more tracks to use as loops, is it a matter of just copying and pasting the code?

Again, thanks in advance!
guitarfukit

Postby guitarfukit » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:47 am

@Forrestfuzz - Hey there Forrest, I've been playing around with your template but there are two things I'm not sure are possible.

1) On each of the four tracks, I have different eq/fx settings as first track is a bass (I'm running Guitar Rig bass amp), 2nd track is lead guitar, 3rd track is arpeggio and 4th track is random ethereal noise. But when I'm actually tracking, I cant hear any of those fx. Do you know if there is a way to hear it with the specific track's effects? Hearing it will influence the way I play the guitar.

2) I'd also like to create additional scenes but am not sure if your template has already used up every single midi controller option (not sure if this last question makes sense but as a point of reference for you, I only learned ableton midi mapping an hour ago)

Thanks in advance!
emmett@KMI

Postby emmett@KMI » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:26 am

You don't need to have the SoftStep editor if your SoftStep is running in Standalone mode. Otherwise, In Hosted mode, you will need to have it running.
forrestfuzz

Postby forrestfuzz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:23 pm

i use a korgnano control to activate my fx on my input channel .....so i hear what i want while playing and the looper is just a recorder

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”