SS1 with new SS Basic Editor

Get help from other SoftStep users.
mrgorilla

SS1 with new SS Basic Editor

Postby mrgorilla » Sat May 10, 2014 11:50 am

is this happening to anyone else? Using the basic editor to setup just a simple note midi message.. but when I monitor it, everything is coming out as control...?

When I revert back to original SS editor (and downgrade back to the necessary firmware).. all translates as expected...
mrgorilla

Re: SS1 with new SS Basic Editor

Postby mrgorilla » Sat May 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Also, whenever I try to save a new scene, the editor crashes after I hit "save as"... anyone else?
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Mon May 12, 2014 12:05 pm

Haven't seen that before. We've used SoftStep 1 for testing the new editors quite a bit.

• What operating system are you on?
  • What version of the editor are you using? 2.0? 2.01? 2.02 (Windows only)?
  • Does the editor make a proper connection to your SoftStep? It says "Connected" in green?
  • Are you sure your SoftStep is on the same preset that you were editing? Does the "Display Name" in the editor match what is showing on the board? You could be working on a different preset than is currently selected on the board.
  • Can you get the editor to make changes at all? Or is it just the same CCs every time?
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Tue May 13, 2014 6:38 am

What operating system are you on? - Maverick - OS
What version of the editor are you using? 2.0? 2.01? 2.02 (Windows only)? 2.01
Does the editor make a proper connection to your SoftStep? It says "Connected" in green? Yes, it says connected
Are you sure your SoftStep is on the same preset that you were editing? Does the "Display Name" in the editor match what is showing on the board? You could be working on a different preset than is currently selected on the board. - Yeah, i thought that was the issue as well, but I started fresh and erased all presets. Then I just tried to set up a simple "note on" midi command, but everything was coming out as a control message as per snoize midi monitor. This was happening in both advanced editor and basic. When I opened up the old advanced softstep editor (the original one) I am was able to create the simple "note on" message.
Can you get the editor to make changes at all? Or is it just the same CCs every time? - I think I was able to get "program messages" to show...

I can post screen shots of the advanced/basic setup and the resulting midi message if that would help...
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Tue May 13, 2014 2:22 pm

Screenshots could potentially help.

The unchanging CCs would make sense when using the Advanced editor in Hosted mode. When in Hosted mode the SoftStep will output raw data as CC messages (on SSCOM Port 1), one for each sensor on the SoftStep (four per key). The editor then takes this and translates it to the proper MIDI as defined in the modlines (then spits it out on "SoftStep Share"). If another application were listening to SSCOM Port 1 while in Hosted mode, it would get all of these CCs coming in.

Doesn't make sense why that would happen with the Basic Editor though, it's Standalone only. Do you have both the Basic and Advanced editors open at the same time? That could lead to the behavior you're observing.

I suppose a firmware reinstall could be worth trying. Just connect to the editor (doesn't matter if it's Basic or Advanced), go up to the Hardware menu, and select "Update/Reload Firmware".
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”