SS2 sensitivity

Get help from other SoftStep users.
DaveDraper

SS2 sensitivity

Postby DaveDraper » Sat May 24, 2014 4:35 am

Hi guys

Just got my softstep 2 - thanks guys; no more hum! Much more usable shaped unit. New editor looks much better too, only 200-odd MB of RAM! Hey, but I'm not using it as I've built my own.
After a lot of reconfiguration I've got it working with my bidule layout & controller but I'm finding the new hardware incredibly over-sensitive.
Tried adjusting the sensitivity slider, but it has no discernable effect, certainly after closing down the editor itself. Is there a way of reduceing the sensitivity setting in the hard/firm-ware, so the raw data coming from it can have values in between 0 & 127?
Is it possible to reload the firmware it was shipped with? When I connected it first time, it informed me there was a firmware update, & I updated it without thinking! Can I get back to the previous? Or can I load SS1 firmware to experiment? Or could this 'brick' it?

optimistically....
Dave
elmquist

Re: SS2 sensitivity

Postby elmquist » Sat May 24, 2014 6:24 am

DaveDraper wrote:New editor looks much better too, only 200-odd MB of RAM! Hey, but I'm not using it as I've built my own.Dave

Building your own editor to configure SoftStep and hence having information the layout of parameters in the SoftStep sysex formats?

Or is it a midi mapping application for live use with your SoftStep?
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Sun May 25, 2014 12:10 am

Not a 'full-on' editor, no; I've no access to sysex data (or at least, its meaning!).
My effort is a bidule group, takes the incoming raw CCs & extracts stuff, reconfigures it etc, so essentially MIDI routing, yes.
The problem I'm having is that the SS2 seems so much more sensitive sending out raw data; just touch one of the pads & I get four CC 127 messages! Makes it very difficult to filter out the unintentional ones by pressure value, (I've been successfully using four functions per pad, one for each sensor on the SS1).
I'm just hoping there's a way of setting these outputs lower in the hardware.

Dave
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed May 28, 2014 2:37 pm

SoftStep 2 is definitely much more sensitive than SoftStep 1. A common complaint about SoftStep 1 was that it was too difficult to trigger. I like the new sensitivity, but it's possible we went a bit beyond the happy medium.

Firmware files can be found here: http://files.keithmcmillen.com/download ... sex_files/

And older SoftStep software versions can be found here: http://files.keithmcmillen.com/downloads/softstep/

A SoftStep 2 won't work with the old VK2A firmware, but firmware 88 (2.0) and 91 (2.01) will work.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Thu May 29, 2014 12:05 am

TheSupport@KMI wrote:... A common complaint about SoftStep 1 was that it was too difficult to trigger. I like the new sensitivity, but it's possible we went a bit beyond the happy medium.

Yep, I think I would agree with both those statements, so thanks for the links guys, I'll get on it & try them out. I take it I can use the old sysex editor to load them just like the ol' days?

best
Dave
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Thu May 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Yeah, that should work.

Also, have you tried setting the SoftStep 2's sensor response to "average", as opposed to "maximum"? I think SoftStep 2 defaults to maximum (could be wrong though). With "maximum", only one sensor on a SoftStep key has to cross the on threshold to be considered "on". With "average", the average of the four sensors on each key has to be higher than the on threshold, which makes it a little more tough to trigger.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Fri May 30, 2014 5:37 am

OK, sysex librarian worked fine, & I've successfully loaded, 88, 91, 88 again etc. Curiously, my advanced editor, when it's fired up informs me 'update needed - expected: 88, found: 91'. Logically (and according to the file dates!) 91 is more recent than 88, but the editor doesn't seem to think so. Anyway, there is little difference in the sensitivities of the two firmware versions. Out of interest, I have measured the raw values of my SS1 a couple of years ago (I think with the VK2 firmware), by sitting a block of steel on each pad and reading the max value from each corner with MIDI monitor. (I have four small plastic feet stuck to each corner of each pad to help operation, & sit the weight on these; I've fitted the same to the SS2),
I just tried the same thing with the SS2, both firmwares. I attach the three tables. One thing I'll say though, you've got the results for the SS2 very consistent across all the pads!

Your suggestion for using 'average' rather than 'maximum' is logical, & I tried it anyway, but of course it makes no difference to the raw data; similarly the 'sensitivity' slider does nothing for the raw output, but merely seems to limit the maximum passed through the editor software. The suggestion I think assumes I'm using the KMI editor, when in fact I use it only to set an 'INIT' patch on the SS2, then read the raw data into bidule, in which I've built my own controller group.
Since I'm not using the KMI editor, I obviously don't expect any support for my own software, and it looks like I'll have to try and moderate the hardware output through my own software, as you seem to have chosen to do. I have various threshold/comparison algorithms in my controller, but I think they'll need some serious modification to deal with this.
Should you issue another firmware update, I would certainly appreciate there being a version that manages to put out a few more values on the way from 0 to 127 and back!

back to the lab then....
Dave

SensitivityTest.gif

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”