How send two different values, in toggle. help please!

Get help from other SoftStep users.
gamuso

How send two different values, in toggle. help please!

Postby gamuso » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:34 am

hallo!

i just want to send a note out (in toggle mode), when i press my pad and the light gets green. then, when i press a second time, and the green light goes off, i want to send a CC.

how can i do this??

thanks!

david
mocker

Re: How send two different values, in toggle. help please!

Postby mocker » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:54 am

Hi, only possible with a third party program like Bome Midi Translator. Check out their forum it's been covered by myself among others.
gamuso

Postby gamuso » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:39 am

auch! : / it's unbelievable softstep editor can't do a simple task like assign a different midi value to the toggle "table" settting... i mean... toggle is an switch, and i's meant not only to turn on/off the led lights, but also to be able to send different cc data!

i got to do something by setting two different CC#, then assign to one of them vel 0-127, but to the other 127-0, so more or less it helps me to do my thing.

thanks a lot for your response.

cheers
mocker

Postby mocker » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:08 am

Yeah, but if you press a second time, it's always the first modline that wins ! The Softstep editor can't work with variables that change their value depending on how many times you pressed. You definitely need BMT to buid a serie of "translators" with rules. I use it extensively and it works great. Once again, KMI should bundle it with the Sofstep !
gilsy

Postby gilsy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:59 pm

It would be interesting to get some advice from KMI about Bome Midi Translator...
mocker

Postby mocker » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:18 pm

gilsy wrote:It would be interesting to get some advice from KMI about Bome Midi Translator...

Search a bit in the forums, it's been confirmed many times by the support. BMT is a winner, perfect to fill the SS Editor's gaps. BTW I have no acquaintance at all with BMT, I'm just a user of the software.

Meanwhile, if you find a way using the SS Editor, please let us know :)
gilsy

Postby gilsy » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:54 pm

I dont know where to start...
At the moment, I'm using Softstep in the hosted mode, to control Live and using it for sequences and management of presets for my guitar.
I'm using Softstep with a very limited knowledge, despite the fact that I've spend hours trying to increase this knowledge, but it is quite difficult for me, and, I am at a point where I'm definitively more interested in playing music than spending hours as a geek to program the softstep...
As an experienced user, would you like to explain me the following point, if you have some time available:
Is BMT an additional layer of command between SStep Hosted software and the Softstep ?
Is BMT more user friendly than the Softstep Language ?
Does it replace the softstep hosted application ?
What is the set-up you are using ?

Thanks
mocker

Postby mocker » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:47 am

Think of BMT as a filter between your Softstep and Live. Each time you send a midi message, you can choose or not to use BMT to transform it for your needs. You can also ask BMT to send messages to the Sofstep itself, typically to control the leds and/or display.
For instance your input can be a note, cc or keystroke and be changed into any other note, cc or keystroke as well, using simple or complex rules, timers, counters etc. Endless possibilities, believe me.
BMT doesn't replace the Softstep Editor but is perfect to avoid using the hosted mode. I personally use the Standalone mode and BMT for all complex messages invoking rules : if… then… that you can program to send different values depending on which/how many press(es) (1st, 2nd, double etc.).
Again, you can search with 'mocker' as the criteria and you'll come across some posts where I describe in detail my main uses of BMT and the Softstep.
OK, one (complex) example :
I lay down a nice chord into a looper, bowing some harmonics on my double bass (through a a 2C Aether plugin long and mysterious reverb and an Eventide H9 harmonizer). I set up the SS's nav pad to pitch the chord a 3rd up for 30s and back to the root by itself, indefinitely. Nav pad value (Y increment as I'm in standalone mode) is set to 0-1 so north triggers a timer that sends the right value to the pitch knob, while south can go back to 0 when I decide and kills the timer. Thanks to BMT.
gilsy

Postby gilsy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Thanks for your time.
I can feel your enthusiasm !
I will check that !
Cheers

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”