Windows 7 and loss of SS MIDI

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Dave

Windows 7 and loss of SS MIDI

Postby Dave » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:50 pm

I recently moved from XP to Win 7. Now my SS seems to (very) periodically lose connection and SS buttons just stop working until I disconnect the SS usb cable and restart the program? Didn't seem to happen under XP. Please help! I use the SS in standalone mode and I need to resolve this as it is now useless in live performance. Thanks.
jimmy

Re: Windows 7 and loss of SS MIDI

Postby jimmy » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:05 am

when the sofstep losses midi control does it disappear from the ableton midi preferences/midi ports?
Dave

Postby Dave » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:57 am

The SS just stops communicating over the usb. The only way to get it back is to close the program (Overloud TH2), unplug the SS usb cable, plug it back in, restart the program and re-associate the SS in the program.
jimmy

Postby jimmy » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:19 am

right on,
just curios if the Softstep stops showing up in Ableton in midi preferences.
i have had a similar issue and it was caused by a the data not connecting on the usb port which
would be a hardware issue.. but you may not have the same issue

next time it drops out check Abletons preferences under the midi tab
and see if the the softstep is still being recognized by ableton.
and if ableton does see the midi ports of the softstep is it red?
Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:59 pm

Thanks again for the reply but I don't have/use Ableton. I just use the SS as my MIDI controller for my AMP/FX sim Overloud TH2. Any help in solving the MIDI usb connection drops would be most appreciated. I cannot use it as it stands and I really don't want toe revert to XP.

Dave
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:16 am

Bumping this thread because I often have the same connectivity problem using the SS2 with Ableton and Win 7.

All works fine for 10 minutes or so and then the SS2 stops sending data to Ableton (sscom still appears in Ableton prefs).

I have to remove the USB cable connection to reboot the SS.

Looking at Win 7 forums - there is an option to turn off power saving on USB hubs apparently. Will try and report back.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips on this - maybe it is not a Softstep thing but an OS glitch.
Thanks.
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:29 am

Turned of USB power suspend mode on all USB hubs etc, changed the USB cable too.

Same problem again in rehearsal today with SS ceasing to send to computer after about 20 mins - but I had the laptop power plan dimming the screen, by default, to save energy after 20 mins - so this MAY BE the problem. Too many variables. Keeping this topic alive for the benefit on anyone else getting this kind of glitch.
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Bumping this.

So I still get these apparently random drops in connectivity/transmission/reception of keypresses.

But when this happens - it now seems to me that the connection has somehow gone to sleep, and if I tap the keys a bunch of times (let's say 10 times) the communication between the Softstep and Ableton on a Win 7 machine seems to come alive again. A temp fix really if I have loads of mad fx blasting away and I suddenly can't switch them off when changing to another part in a song, for example.
Weird. Anyway I can't point to the Softstep on this of course, but just a heads up.

I have made sure that all USB connections have sleepmode disabled, power settings set to never dim screen, turn off HD etc etc.

Maybe it is an Ableton glitch or Windows. :mrgreen:

Love the Softstep in that I can put it in my gigbag for rehearsals and the programming is off the scale but at this point I would only recommend it with a caveat of "you need to check it out on your system".

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”