Roland EV-5 expression pedal Problem!

Get help from other SoftStep users.
bramstad

Re: Roland EV-5 expression pedal Problem!

Postby bramstad » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 am

OK maybe I can use Standalone, but I haven't really worked with it yet, I should dive into the options of Standalone.

However, in any case, I should be able to use Hosted if I choose to, and the Pedal should work the same way in both hosted and standalone, right? So I'm still curious why hosted makes this problem.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:37 am

Yeah, I agree (check your email btw).
I'm looking into this as we speak.
That being said, there shouldn't be any difference in the values being read by the SS in the different operating modes.
I generally suggest to use standalone mode unless you absolutely need some of the extra features. It's just one less piece of software running, and one less thing to potentially go wrong.
bramstad

Postby bramstad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:28 am

Thanks for the reply. I tried working now in Standalone now.
Now there's another weird problem: The pedal doesn't go further than value 62 (as counted in Midi Monitor).
Previously it went until 127, now I get the range until 62. When I try to control a track's volume in ableton, it stops at around half.
That's very weird.

The only way my pedal functions 100% right, is running Hosted mode, but letting Ableton listen only to SSCOM port 1. Which is obviously not the way it's supposed to be?

Any help here would be really appreciated.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:09 am

Check your pedal modline, calibration settings, and range knob on your pedal. If you did any calibrating, reset it. Make sure your modline doesn't have anything goofy on it.
bramstad

Postby bramstad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:50 am

I calibrated again and again for at least 50 times the last weeks.
Doesn't make a difference.
Checked range knob (like previously commented).
Modline appears to be normal. Which is prooved by the fact that it does work under SSCOM port 1, while in Hosted mode.
Today I received the SoftStep 2.
In there, the pedal doesn't go further than about 60%. The rest works normal.
It's all so strange because there's nothing wrong with the pedal itself, but something somewhere in the software is messing with it.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Try updating your firmware, and resending your setlist to your softstep. I was able to get some weird things happening today (only getting up to half the range) but a firmware reinstall and resending of the presets fixed the issue.
bramstad

Postby bramstad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:35 pm

I just received my softstep 2 today, first thing I did was install the latest firmware, then sent my patches. So it must be fresh.

With my SS2, it now happens that the pedal works 100% correctly in HOSTED mode.
in Standalone mode, it goes only until 60%. I use the same setlist both in hosted and standalone.

EDIT!!: Wait, sorry, in Standalone, my output was set to SSCOM port 1. And we knew that it worked then. Unfortunately not with hosted-softstep share, or standalone...

Just re-reloaded the firmware and re-re-sent the patched, no results..

BTW: something that might help, is: the same happens with the XY knobs. When I try to change volume in ableton with the XY buttons, it also doesn't go further than 60%. Does that explain anything?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:54 pm

You;re confusing me with all this sscom/hosted it works/doesn't work business.
You state that it comes out of sscom 1 while you're in hosted mode correctly, but not Softstep share?
And in standalone mode while sending to sscom 1, with your pedal modline having absolutely NO modifications, it only reaches 60 % of the range?
bramstad wrote:
EDIT!!: Wait, sorry, in Standalone, my output was set to SSCOM port 1. And we knew that it worked then. Unfortunately not with hosted-softstep share, or standalone...

Based on this, while in standalone, it works via SSCOM 1.
bramstad

Postby bramstad » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Yes, you got it right.
I'm sorry for writing it in a confusing way.
And in the quote I confused the words myself unfortunately:

This:

Should be:
EDIT!!: Wait, sorry, in Hosted mode, my output was set to SSCOM port 1. And we knew that it worked then. Unfortunately not with hosted-softstep share, or standalone...

Hope it's clear..?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:27 pm

You could try putting a gain of 2 on your pedal modline to reach the full value.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”