softstep long press - Mainstage/SooperLooper

Get help from other SoftStep users.
fadi

softstep long press - Mainstage/SooperLooper

Postby fadi » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:42 am

Hi all, I'm new to the whole looping/softstep stuff, and I wanted to get a few tips that I'm struggling with:

- I got a softstep hooked-up to Mainstage3, controlling SOOPERLOOPER through Midipipe.
SooperLooper has got an interface for learning midi, however it doesn't allow me to program anything apart from a simple press, which is then recognized as 'PC'. My Softstep is running in Standalone mode, because anything else messed up all the mid-learn functions I already had programmed, and I'm not that technological on the whole thing, I just need the basic functions.
- Could someone help me finding a way of having 2 functions on 1 pad, i.e. short press and long-press. For example if I want to press 'short' on a key to make 'undo' function, and 'long-press' to 'undo-all'.

appreciate any input here,
cheers

I have a softstep 1 version.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: softstep long press - Mainstage/SooperLooper

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:46 am

The most reliable way to put multiple functions on one key would be using 'Double trig' and 'Long Press'.
If you try to use Foot On (what I assume you mean by 'short-press) and Long Trig on one key you will run into the problem that when you try to engage the long trig you ALWAYS engage the other message, there's just no way around it. The SS can't tell when you put your foot on the Key that you are wanting to engage the long trigger, but not the foot on. It currently can't read minds, but that is on the feature request list.
fadi

Postby fadi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:26 am

hi, thanks for you reply,
that's a little strange: I thought that's exactly the feature advertised on KMI Softstep, and according to some other forums I read that if you enable the pad as 'note', then you could do just that. Apparently then anything that is held longer than 2s is recognized as a long-press, and anything released before obviously as a normal press. I read somewhere that I have to enable the pad as a 'note' rather than 'pc' and then it should work.

what I don't know how to do is to change the function of the 'pad' from 'PC' which is default to 'note'. Perhaps you can help me with that?
cheers
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:07 am

Let me try to make it a bit more clear. If the source is set to foot on (a press on a key) it will send the message when you step on that key. If you also have a long trig source set on the same key, in order to activiate the long trig, you have to step on the key. By that logic that whenever you wish to send out the long you will also trigger the foot on. The softstep can't tell when you put your foot on the pad, which source you want to use.

Like I said in my first message, you can use double trig and long trig together, because those are distinct gesture. You don't need to complete one gesture to get to the other, so they can be independent on the same key.

To change the MIDI output to notes, you can either switch to the default NOTE preset by navigating to it with the nav pad (should be the second one if my memory is correct), or you can open the basic or advanced editor to edit the output messages of the key for the preset you wish to use.
fadi

Postby fadi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:39 am

its slowly starting to make sense to me, yet there are other instances which still don't. If you could be so kind an clarify those, I'd be very grateful.

in Sooperlooper, I'm trying to program in the different pads to different functions.
The only function the 'midi-learn' key recognizes is 'PC', ie. if I set the softstep into any other mode than the default one, the midi-learn does not get any signal. and if I try to press 'double-tap' it does the same thing as with the 'foot-on' press. When Softstep is in default mode, and I use 'midi-learn' function then it gets recognized as a PC and not 'note' why is that?

However, if I just use the mouse, and click on the different keys in SooperLooper, there is a distinction between foot-on, and long-press, i.e. if I hold it down for 2s, it triggers of a differnt message.

As you said, the default setting in 'Basic Editor' is set to 'Midi note', so why am I not able to do different triggers, as you suggest?

I'm just getting more and more confused now.. LOL
fadi

Postby fadi » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:33 am

hi again, so I've made some progress.
I was able to navigate to 'Note' on the Softstep, and then program those in as 'note' events. so that's all working. my only problem atm is that the note 'on' and 'off' messages are interpreted both, so pressing and releasing the pad repeats the gesture. Is there a way of telling the host to interpret 'foot on' and 'foot off' as same command, i.e. not doing it twice then on release.
mocker

Postby mocker » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:45 am

Check out Bome Midi Translator, you're gonna waist your time here. I'm not saying they won't answer you but that you'll soon discover the limitations of the Softstep+Editor. As I said many times they should bundle it with BMT. Link : http://www.bome.com/
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:11 am

Do you work for Bome's Mocker? ARE YOU BOME HIMSELF? ;)

He is right though for more advanced things, you may need Bome's but what you're asking now is still basic operation and functionality.

I'm glad yo figured out how to change presets on the device. The SS doesn't follow along while you are making changes in the basic editor.

The more advanced gesture like double trig, long trig etc. are only in available in the ,you guessed it, Advanced Editor. This will also help you address the note on/note off issue you are having. Some software interprets only the note number, and doesn't care about velocity. In this case you'll want to set up a toggle table with identical values for the min and max as shown below.
Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 9.06.48 AM.png

Let me know how yo get along.
mocker

Postby mocker » Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:34 am

:)) No I don't ! It just saved me from mental fatigue :)
But it happens that each time I want help, people seem to be blocked on things that BMT could resolve easily. So sorry if I'm repeating the same thing over and over, I'm sure it can open a few doors for some people.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”