How to achieve this setup with the softstep?

Get help from other SoftStep users.

How to achieve this setup with the softstep?

Postby Phillippal » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:00 am

I'm an electronic music newbie so please forgive my ignorance!

I would like to use the softstep to apply effects to my saxophone. Ideally, I would use iPad app-based effects. Is this a possibility? It am not quite certain how I would set this up though...

I have heard you can only have one lightning input into the iPad. Perhaps I could input audio from my sax through the headphone jack and use a camera connection kit to connect the softstep? Or would connecting the Sax audio in this way produce lesser quality?

I have also found out about the iconnectaudio4+ which is due for release in February (apparently). Would I be able to connect the softstep and my sax through then input both via lightning connector to my ipad, and would this be preferable to the first option?

Actually, ideally I would like to use a softstep simultaneously with a quneo too. Would an interface such as the iconnectaudio4+ allow this too?

As I am a beginner, I am trying to avoid buying a heap load of equipment straight off the bay as I dont want to be too overwhelmed, and I also think it would be better to buy things as I go along when I know more about what direction I want to take musically.

Thanks in advance!

Re: How to achieve this setup with the softstep?

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:10 am

You'll definitely need some sort of interface to get the Audio/MIDI data into your iPad. Using the headphone jack is probably a real bad idea, for a a variety of reasons.

The iconnectAudio4+ looks like it has all the ins/outs that you'll need. Probably more than you need if you're just doing saxophone.

It also has a HOST MIDI port, so you could plug a USB hub into that and run both a Softstep and a QuNeo at the same time.

Postby thenickferguson » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:59 pm

Hey Phillippal,

I've been down this road with my ipad and guitar and through much trial and error, was able to find a gig worthy solution....

You'll need a dock that can handle audio and usb midi input and output. I bought the Focusrite iTrack dock and have been happy with it's performance and features.

Depending on the application you are aiming for, you might consider the following apps and routing options.

First you'll need Audiobus if you don't already have it. It allows you to rout multiple apps as inputs, effects and outputs. I used Loopy HD as my output app for my vocals, guitar and a synth (Propellorhead's Thor).

The Softstep maps nicely to Loopy HD without much stress, as each of the buttons are assignable within the app. The reason I'm no longer using this setup is that Loopy HD has a latency delay of 256ms, which is far to long for me to use while playing live and syncing with other instruments, plus the iPad can't handle all the apps I was hoping to use at once.

Any of the iPad apps you might want to use or buy will need to have [i]midi learn[i] which lets you press a button with your foot while the app is in 'learn' mode. Aka you can make the buttons change whatever command, effect or parameter you like.

The setup ends up being quite portable and reliable, but does require some extra hardware and software purchases and a bit of a learning curve.

Good luck!

Dead Mah-Zie

Postby Dead Mah-Zie » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:06 am

thenickferguson wrote:The Softstep maps nicely to Loopy HD

Hi. Could you please share your mapping? For example which SS pad did you bind to Rec, Overdub, Mute? And what mode lines did you use on those SS pads?

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”