SoftStep: Toggle with proper LED status in Ableton

Get help from other SoftStep users.

SoftStep: Toggle with proper LED status in Ableton

Postby kerryg » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:42 am

Hi folks - got a recital tomorrow and am struggling with a very basic question. I want to assign a series of pedals to turn effects on and off. I've managed this easily by mapping a note or a CC to the "effect on" button, but what I can't figure out is how to get the LED to stay on for effects while they're on so I can monitor their status with a glance and know when I need to turn them off (these effects are on an instrument I'll be triggering live - not knowing whether they're on or off before I hit a note could be embarrassing). Can anybody give me a fast walkthrough? Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: SoftStep: Toggle with proper LED status in Ableton

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:40 am

You have a recital tomorrow and you're asking the question today? Keeping things interesting I see ;)

There are two 'easy' approaches to doing this:

1) You can internally monitor the value of the key to reflect the state of the effect. You can assign LED behavior to modlines, so you could say 'when this key sends 127, turn the LED on, when it sends 0, turn it off'.
The disadvantage of this is that it won't follow changes made in Live. For example if you turn the effect OFF with your mouse, and the effect key thinks it's on, it will take 2 presses to get sync'ed again.

2) You can make the Key output the proper CC to light the LED on that KEY. For example key 1, you would tell it to output CC 110, And then Live will send that CC back to the SS to control the LED. There's some info in the documentation about remote LED control but bassically CCs 20-29 are the red LEDs, and 110-119 are the green LEDs.

Good luck!

Postby mocker » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:27 pm

That's when I usually come, saying : use Bome Midi Translator for that :)
If you dig in this forum you'll find my posts explaining how I achieved total control of LEDs on the Softstep.
But I doubt you'll be ready tomorrow. Oops tomorrow is already today as I'm late in answering. You'll need to spend some time understanding the logics behind the SS leds and BMT, if you decide yo use it (which I strongly recommend you do). Good luck ! and short nights :)

Postby gargas » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:51 am

I agree withMocker about bomer midi. Great piece of software that integrates beatifully with the softstep.

I also advise you to take a look at the midi chart in the following thread:

KML doesn't seem to support it (don't know why, because it could be a plus when advertising their product) but it is more flexible than the "official" keithmcmillen midi chart: besides the green and red colours, also allows an orange color by turning on both leds simultaneously) which could give you a better feedback of what's happening - for instance, imagine a looper where red means "recording", green means "play" and orange means "overdub" ;)

nevertheless, like the previous posts say, don't ever let this things to "the day before". There are lot's of ways to make them work, and it couldbe fun to explore them, but they always requires time, and errors just happen when things are not planned in advanced. ;)

Take your time to set it up right, and we are here to help you make it work

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”