Calling a preset and led behaviour

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Minutiae

Calling a preset and led behaviour

Postby Minutiae » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:12 am

I got my softstep 2 and I'm quite happy with it as a replacement for the FCB1010.
The new buttons are playable, very responsive and I don't miss at all that noisy click of my previous footcontroller.
The red/green lights assignable on each pad are great for visual feedback, so I don't need to look at the laptop to see what's going on.

Neverthless, I'm still struggling to understand exactly how to get the leds working as I'd like.
or better, If ther's a way to have the lights "on" when I recall a set of presets.

What i want to achieve is:
1. red led on - when I switch to a set of presets
2. green led - when foot is on the pad
3. no led - when the foot is off the pad

I know it can be done, but how ?
Do I have to send an external MIDI command to set the initial state of a preset or that can be accomplished with the Softstep advanced editor ?
(BTW: working in Hosted mode, Mac user (yosemite) here).

Anyone's experience on this topic ?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Calling a preset and led behaviour

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:36 am

What you want to do shouldn't be too complicated. The green LED is easy, just tie a green LED to the 'Foot On' message that is sending the data.
I'm a little confused by what you mean by 'recall a group of presets'.
That's really not part of our terminology, so I'm not sure what you mean. You have presets in your setlist, and you navigate to (or recall) a single preset using the navpad. Do you want to light up a particular key Red when navigating to a particular preset?
That can be done with the 'INIT' source in hosted mode to send a value down a modline and control an LED.

let me know if this all makes sense.
Minutiae

Postby Minutiae » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Hey for some weird reason, I didn't see your answer for the next days and I didn't check ìt back again.

Tested it, ìt works, but Let me introduce another question.
I have 3 presets: A, B, C.
What I'd want is to control the led behaviour of my B preset from Mobius software (I run Mobius plugin inside Bidule)
Mobius can send Midi event from scripts to another device, so I'd like to have:
- a script that does send #messages to activate the Green led on #keys JUST on B preset.
- then when I press a key in the B preset and a New midi message is sent, led should go red.

Now, questions are:
- what midi ports do I have to set in Mobius to control the SS ? What midi port for the SS ?(Working with the advanced editor here)
- example of modline to achieve the described led behaviour ?

Thanks,

-f
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:01 am

The LEDs on the SS can be remotely controlled via SSCOM Port 1. There's more information in the Manualhttp://files.keithmcmillen.com/downloads/softstep/SoftStep_Manual_v2.01.pdf but here's the basics.

Red LEDs are controlled by CCs 20-29, and the green LEDs are controlled by CCs 110-119. You send the CC with an appropriate value:
0 = off
1 = on
2 = slow blink
3 = fast blink

for example if you send CC 22 with a value of 1 it will set the red LED of key 3 to be on.
If you can send those kinds of values from Mobius, then you won't need any modlines at all.
Minutiae

Postby Minutiae » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:18 pm

Yes, but I'm wondering how I can address a midi message to a key of a specific preset, assuming that I need 3 of them to be active on my setlist.
My question is: how the SS is told to control the led in "THAT" preset ?
Midi channel ?
Other ?

Ty

-f
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:23 pm

You can't address a key of a particular preset. A key is always a key as far as the remote LED control i concerned.
You can set up external MIDI into modlines with the I/O tab in the settings menu. Then you can use those as inputs into modlines to manipulate the LEDs. Those would be per preset, and not global. You're limited to 8 of those, and they can only be used in Hosted mode. And the ports get reset on shutdown ( a known bug) so you will have to manually reassign the proper MIDI input everytime you open the editor.
Minutiae

Postby Minutiae » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:51 pm

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:You can't
You can set up external MIDI into modlines with the I/O tab in the settings menu. Then you can use those as inputs into modlines to manipulate the LEDs. Those would be per preset, and not global. You're limited to 8 of those, and they can only be used in Hosted mode. And the ports get reset on shutdown ( a known bug) so you will have to manually reassign the proper MIDI input everytime you open the editor.

Thank you, but I don't know how to do that (dumb me)
Can you post an example ?

-f
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:09 pm

It's all in the manual: http://files.keithmcmillen.com/download ... _v2.01.pdf

Starting on page 45. You define the MIDI message you want to listen for in the I/O tabs:
Screen Shot 2015-06-04 at 7.06.41 PM.png

In this case I will hear CC#60 from my Ableton Push.

then you select that MIDI input (A-H) as the source for a modline:

Screen Shot 2015-06-04 at 7.07.54 PM.png

Then you can do the LED programming as you normally would with a modline.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”