MIDI Message from left/right Nav Pad

Get help from other SoftStep users.
jaren

MIDI Message from left/right Nav Pad

Postby jaren » Tue May 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Dear SoftStep community,

I've been using the SoftStep for about a month now, and I really love the portability and simplicity, and the software ain't half bad either. But I'm having one major headache that is really cramping my musical workflow: when I change presets using the NavPad, I really need my DAW to be able to receive that information. Can I make it so left/right motion on the NavPad can be transmitted as a MIDI message too?

Background: I'm using the SoftStep to control 4 synths in Ableton Live (all hooked up to one MIDI keyboard). Each synth gets its own "preset" in the Softstep Advanced Editor. When I use my foot to change the current preset from from Synth1 to Synth2, I'll then naturally want Ableton to disarm Synth 1, and have Synth2 record-armed to receive MIDI notes from my keyboard. As it is now, whenever I change a preset with my foot, I need to life my hands from my instrument to mess with my computer to make this happen, which clearly defeats the purpose of having a foot-controller for this purpose.

Any advice?
thank you!!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: MIDI Message from left/right Nav Pad

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed May 06, 2015 6:36 am

The left and right sections of the Navpad are reserved for preset changing, and you can't assign MIDI messages to them.
You CAN however send out MIDI messages whenever you change presets (which I think is a better way to think about what you are trying to accomplish anyway).

This actually took quite a bit of time to figure out due to a few quirks with Live's MIDI mapping and how it handles exclusive arming when you MIDI map to the arm buttons.

Set up a key on each of your presets like this:

Screen Shot 2015-05-06 at 10.31.58 AM.png

Pay attention to the lower two lines, these are where the magic happens (I disable the upper line, but you can do whatever you want with the remaining 4 modline spaces). Whenever you enter the preset that this modline lives in, a note on and corresponding note off will be sent. Map this to the arm button. usually Live ignores note offs, but in this particular case, if it doesn't here the corresponding note off it will override the exclusive arm setting. So sending out a pair of messages like this is the only way to achieve exclusive arming via the init source.
Repeat this with a different MIDI note for each preset, and map it to the record arm button of the track you wish to be armed by the preset.
jaren

Postby jaren » Wed May 06, 2015 10:56 am

Excellent, this is very helpful, thank you!!
mocker

Postby mocker » Wed May 06, 2015 1:47 pm

Very interesting post ! Thank you TheOtherSupport :)
jaren

Postby jaren » Thu May 07, 2015 8:02 am

Hmm I'm trying to set this up now, and the "Init" source that you're using here isn't listed for me. Any idea why this might be?
jaren

Postby jaren » Thu May 07, 2015 8:56 am

I checked out the manual, and it seems Init is only available as a source in Standalone mode--but I've been using Hosted mode, as it has a number of advantages for processing data. Seems I'm in a bind...
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu May 07, 2015 10:29 am

You can also do this in Hosted Mode by setting up some modlines like this for each preset:
Screen Shot 2015-05-07 at 2.27.06 PM.png

Accomplishes the same goal.
jaren

Postby jaren » Sat May 09, 2015 10:49 am

Awesome thanks!

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”