softstep-1 2.0 editor issues

Get help from other SoftStep users.
ineedhelp

softstep-1 2.0 editor issues

Postby ineedhelp » Sun May 10, 2015 11:46 am

I've had the soft step one for quite a while now and for some reason the old editor stopped working for me in ableton and quit unexpectedly, so I downloaded the new 2.0 editor.

My sofstep is also not being recognized in ableton's midi mapping with this new editor and the 2.0 advanced is now quitting unexpectedly every time I try to save a new preset :x

I need some help and maybe a few templates to see if I can even get my softstep to be recognized in the midi mapping on ableton.
This is especially frustrating considering I was using it perfectly fine about 2 weeks ago. :oops:

I really just want to be able to trigger the recording button in the looper on ableton so that I can move on and customize the softstep to my other effects.

If someone could explain why the 2.0 advanced editor keeps crashing and not letting me save, that would be greatly appreciated as well.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 3.10.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 3.02.46 PM.png
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: softstep-1 2.0 editor issues

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon May 11, 2015 5:08 am

Your preset in that screenshot has no text in the keys. Did you manually delete all of those, or is that how it looks by default?
Are there presets in your presets menu?
If you have no presets, then it's likely a permissions issue, or you're trying to run the application from the .dmg instead of from your applications folder (or wherever you like to keep your applications).
ineedhelp

Postby ineedhelp » Mon May 11, 2015 7:37 am

There were no presets in the application and I can't save any without it crashing. That's what it looked like default.
I was able to save a preset without it crashing, but when I closed and reopened the application it wasn't there anymore.
I'm pretty sure it's not because I'm using the .dmg, but here is a picture of where I got it from.

My main issue with the 2.0 version is that I can't even get the softstep to trigger a midi response in the ableton midi mapping mode. :cry:
Also, I can't save my preset for what I want to work...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 11.31.29 AM.png
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon May 11, 2015 10:14 am

You're running it from the .dmg, that's why you can't save presets, and why you're not getting any data from Hosted Mode into Live.
You see that application alias folder? Drag the Editors folder there, then open the Advanced Editor from your applications folder.
ineedhelp

Postby ineedhelp » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:07 pm

Now the softstep software isn't working at all. I tried to delete it and redownload it, but it still isn't connecting. I know it is connected because it's using power to light the led's. What can I do to fix this? It was working fine for a while, but now it is not connecting at all.
I dragged the .dmg into the applications folder every time, so now I can save to the software, but it is not recognizing my soft step as connected at all?
ineedhelp

Postby ineedhelp » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:22 pm

I was able to get it connected yesterday after I redownloaded, but when I saved my presets again and tried to use it in ableton it became disconnected and hasn't worked since. I was able to update/reload the firmware in the Hardware section before this occurred. Now it won't connect to the software.

it is an original soft step btw, if that makes a difference
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:41 am

That all sounds like a cable/connection issue.
You should try some different USB cables, especially shorter ones if you are using the cable that came with the SS. Long USB runs can introduce some data/power issues.

Just because the LEDs turn on doesn't mean it's connected to your computer. Check your System Report, and Audio/MIDI setup to verify that your computer is seeing the device.
gargas

Postby gargas » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:53 am

my first softstep 1 had that behaviour after a couple of months... turning on/off unexpectadely... (but keeping leds on)

Turns out it was the USB connector that was broken, so it was only powering up, but not sending data. fortunately it was on warrany and I changed to a softstep 2 that, so far, hasn't had any problem.

Hope your problem ain't that ... but try to move the usb cable where it connects and see if it works again or not...

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”