session view navigation with navpad?

Get help from other SoftStep users.
slatepipe

session view navigation with navpad?

Postby slatepipe » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:02 am

hi

i haven't bought a softstep 2 yet but it looks like i may well do so soon

i want to use it in ableton live to replace my fcb 1010 which works well but is a pain to carry around

my question is : can i use the navpad (the big cross on the right, i think that's what it's called) to navigate up, down, left and right around session view in ableton? i assume i can but i want to check first. can it be programmed to do this using the enclosed software or does it have to be done using maxforlive ?

also : in the four letter display, is it possible to get it to display the name of the current track that i am using in the session view? that would be pretty handy as it could mean that i dont have to have my laptop open

thanks
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: session view navigation with navpad?

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:40 am

Hey Slatepipe,

Unfortunately the left and right portion of the NavPad is reserved for preset changing, so you can't assign it to send out MIDI commands.
You can get session navigation using other keys a few different ways. I've made a Remote Script for the SS :
http://www.keithmcmillen.com/projects/softstep-single-clip/
This does some session navigation, clip firing and recording.

You might also want to check out the Session Scene Launcher Device:
http://www.keithmcmillen.com/projects/session-scene-launcher/
This only allows you to launch scenes, and you can tie it to other control surfaces (Push, LaunchPad, etc.).

As for the Display on the SS giving you the track name, that's doable, but you'd have to do it in M4L. Wouldn't be too hard though.

Let me know if you have any questions. If neither of these solutions look good, we can talk about some different solutions.
slatepipe

Postby slatepipe » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:05 am

hi, thanks for your reply, very helpful

i would like to use one of the pedals to navigate around the session view, which i do at the moment using my fcb1010 and a maxforlive patch. i guess there must be a way to do this using the softstep 2, either by adapting my mfl patch or by using the softstep software? i'd find it very appealing to use one pedal for navigation

thanks
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:23 am

Both of the solutions I linked to in the previous post have session navigation capabilities. You can assign the proper MIDI messages to the corners of an SS pad to move about the session using the mentioned solutions (or your own M4L patch, if you'd like). You can only do this in Hosted Mode (meaning you'll have to have the editor open).

Keep in mind that the keys aren't huge, and using each corner for a discrete MIDI message can be pretty challenging in practice. I've used it that way in the past, but tend not to.
slatepipe

Postby slatepipe » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:18 pm

hi again

thanks for the continued info

the softstep 2 arrived today and im looking through the manual. it'll certainly lighten my load compared to the fcb :)

it seems that using it in hosted mode is the way to go - is there any big disadvantage to using it this way as opposed to standalone mode? it probably says so somewhere in the manual but i haven't got there yet. it seems that it offers more flexibility when in hosted mode and can send more data? am i correct in thinking this?

thanks
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:04 pm

Yes, that's the main difference. You also need to have the editor open, so it's another application running. That's really the only disadvantage.
slatepipe

Postby slatepipe » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:52 am

hi again

so i've been playing around with it for a week or so now. what i'd really like to get it to do is to navigate session view using one button, instead of using four which i already do on my fcb1010. the nearest i have come is to use two buttons with the top and bottom as the two sources then get it to output cc's into ableton, and i can then map the cc's onto buttons in a mfl patch. but that is still two buttons, not just one. and also i have to repeatedly press the buttons up or down each time i want to move another place, which is one of the reasons i wanted to change from the fcb. the set i use currently is quite big and i want to get away from frantically pressing the button quickly to move around. what i figured should be the way to go is to have x live and y live giving out program change or cc's, probably with a small delay on them so it isn't too fast, so that i can then map them using a mfl patch or something to go left. right, up and down, so i can hopefully just glide around my set using the x-y parameters on the key

hope this makes sense, can you offer any advice?

thanks
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:06 am

You'll need to do all the MIDI processing within M4L.

I've attached a patch that demonstrates how to get four triggers from one key. You'll want to have two modlines with sources of x/y live respectively (you can do this in Hosted or Standalone Mode) , and use CC 0 and 1 (or change the route objects' arguments). I've also included some autoscrolling code that wills start repeatedly triggering after holding the trigger for 250 ms (you can change this inside the patcher). I didn't include any of the session navigation stuff, as I am assuming that you are already handling all of that.

Let me know if this gets you any closer, or you need some more suggestions.
Attachments
FourTriggers_AutoScrolling.maxpat.zip
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
slatepipe

Postby slatepipe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:49 am

hey great, thanks for this help. i'll check this out tonight when i get home and report back. looks very helpful though :)
slatepipe

Postby slatepipe » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:43 am

hi there again

ok so now i have managed to get key 5 to navigate up, down, left and right around the session view. it works ok and with a bit more tweaking it should be pretty good. adjusting the sensitivity and delay should solve it.

just to check though - is there no way that i could use the nav pad to navigate around the session view? it would seem to be more logical to use this due to its bigger size but from what i gather i can only use it to move up and down and there isn't any way to use it to go left and right. it seems a bit odd that there isn't any way to do this, or would it be possible to do it using MFL?

currently though, i am trying to use the nav pad to control the volume of whatever track i am on using a MFL patch but i am unsure of which settings i should use in the advanced editor for the navpad to get it to send cc numbers or something into my maxpatch to move a volume slider up and down. i have it set to modline mode, not program change but currently whenever i press the navpad to test it, it changes the preset and i end up on another preset than the one i am trying to program. confusing

can you offer ny advice for the above two points please? many thanks

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”