Sync softstep keys with plug-in effects software

Get help from other SoftStep users.
mehrdadp

Sync softstep keys with plug-in effects software

Postby mehrdadp » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:59 am

I must push softstep key twice before it syncs with my software effects plug-in. Every first time I change the presets in my Amplitube plug-in track, softstep keys controlling the Amplitube stomp boxes need to be pushed once in order to sync with it. It stays sync after that, until I change the preset. I would have to push the ss keys to sync with the new preset stomp boxes again.
Is there any way to have softstep keys to be always in sync with my Amplitube plug-in track in my Ableton Live?
Thank you
MacBook pro, OS 10.10.5, Apple Duet, Ableton Live 9, SoftStep 1 in hosted mode, Amplitube 4.
Briggy

Re: Sync softstep keys with plug-in effects software

Postby Briggy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:10 am

I am new to the Softstep and have just been programming it to control similar things in my Ableton set. Are you using the Advanced editor? Softstep 1 or 2.

In the advanced editor, you will need to experiment with a modline: Foot ON > either LINEAR or TOGGLE and outputting either a midi note OR CC > one of those combinations should work. This also depends on how thingS are set up inside your Ableton set - sometimes toggling a midi note didnt work for me, with an on+off switch in an effect in Ableton but was fine opening up an aux send. I have some mute on+offs in a utility plugin for some effects and I had to invert the values inside Abletons midi browser to make those function correctly, so its >>>TRIAL AND ERROR, I AM AFRAID. It took me a whole day to program simple stuff like that because of having to go back and forth between the editor and Ableton. But i got there in the end. :geek:

I am using Softstep 2 in standalone mode. I saw in the manual that in Softstep 1, standalone mode does not retain preset or scene inital settings - so if you are using SS1 you might have to be in hosted mode.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:40 pm

This depends on how your host/plugin deals with MIDI messages for toggles. I think the OPs issue was that he would turn an effect on in Amplitube with an SS toggle (so the SS sent a 127). Then when he switches presets, he wants that same toggle to turn on a new effect, so he hits it (SS sends a 0) and nothing happens. The next time he hits it it will turn on the effect, being 'in sync' with his plugin.

The issue you were talking about is that some elements in Live only want to hear a Note On (or a CC value > 64) message to toggle state. So when you set up a toggle, it takes two presses to make anything happen in Live. There are other things in Live like that as well.

Unfortunately for the OP, you can't change the internal state of toggles, so he's out of luck.
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:03 pm

OK many thanks for that clarification. I assume other DAWs also have their idiosyncrasies, providing another level of "what now?" :mrgreen:

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”