SS2 freezes and advanced editor crash

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Briggy

SS2 freezes and advanced editor crash

Postby Briggy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi all,
I have been trying out a new Moog Ep3 pedal today and after doing some programming experiments, when I tried to send some changes to my SS2 (in standalone mode) I got a frozen LOAD message on the SS2 LED and the red LEDS for keys 1 and 0 stay lit. The editor also crashes at this point. Tried this a few times, same result. Tried rebooting the computer, disconnected the expression pedal, no joy.

Any ideas? Reinstall firmware?

SS2 firmware 91, editor ver 2.02.

Win 7

Many thanks

EDIT: info on the programming I was doing right before the problem arose -
I have 2 presets I am using in standalone mode. I created a modline for the expression pedal with a different CC, one for each preset. When I tried this out, one of my key leds starting to blink when the pedal was fully depressed. This was no good for me, so I went back to the editor and disabled one of the pedal modlines and when I tried to update the Softstep, I got the above mentioned crash.

Edit2
OK Had to update the firmware because nav pad wouldn't change presets when I arrived at rehearsal. Opened preset 1 -sent to SS2 no probs. relief. Opened preset 2 and got the crash on trying to send to SS.
Current conclusion: conflict in modlines in that preset causes crash. Will delete it and rewrite and take it from there.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: SS2 freezes and advanced editor crash

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:20 am

Nice that you were able to isolate the problem, although that shouldn't be the case. The content of the presets usually doesn't present issues like that.

Let me know any other info you round up.
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:45 am

Thanks for yr reply. Will let you know when I get back to the studio and have a chance to check fully. Scanning through other posts on the forum I noticed some people had crashes from time to time, so hope this will help. Am happy the firmware reinstall helped.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:00 am

A firmware reinstall is always the first thing to try when quirky behavior pops up.
Crashes when sending presets is generally an installation issue on Mac, or a permissions issue. Trying to read/write files that you can't access.
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:25 am

Ok

It has to be that I put a modline in each preset with a pedal source outputting a different CC for each preset. Looking at screen grabs of those presets that I made in case I lost the settings. maybe I was trying to be too clever....and I should just stick with one pedal output? Ie One CC for the whole Softstep?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:36 am

That shouldn't be necessary, you should be able to have a different CC for the Pedal Modline per preset. SHouldn't cause any problems when sending the preset to the ss. What other presets do you have in your Setlist?
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:02 pm

Here are screenshots of the two presets in the setlist.
First is called GTR and apart from the first 2 keys, which are momentary, the keys toggle FX on and off (in the host, Ableton live). green LEDs TRUE for ON.
Once I got the expression pedal setup, I added a pedal line with cc78 to the GTR preset, which was all cool.
[img]
gtr%20preset.jpg
[/img]

Second is called LOOP which controls a looper VST (not the Ableton looper) which is designed to only respond to specific midi notes, RED LEDS TRUE only when key is pressed. The last three keys toggle other vsts on and off, green LEDS True for ON.

Then I tried to do the same exp pedal thing by inserting a modline outputting CC79 in the LOOP preset and once I did that, the first key in that preset had a blinking red LED when the exp pedal was depressed fully. When I disabled that pedal modline and tried to send the change to the SS, I got the crash symptoms I mentioned in the orginal post. I know the pedal modline says output to softstep expander but that was just me trying to make sure it was disabled because I was still getting the blinking red LED even though the blue modline enable button was switched off!
[img]
loop%20preset.jpg
[/img]
Attachments
gtr preset.jpg
loop preset.jpg
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:20 am

Actually, it seems that sending any preset to the Softstep in Standalone mode is causing the crash.

also there is this from a previous post sounds like the same problem..
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=380&p=1387&hilit=standalone+bug#p1387
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:17 am

Nah, that's from 2011, long before this editor was made.
Send the crash report please, and any dialogs the system might be giving you.
Try changing your permissions.
Try running as an administrator.
Try a different cable.
Does the Editor crash or freeze?
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:00 am

OK Thanks,

BTW the SS now IS working in standalone mode with everything programmed as I made it and a different CC from the EXP pedal on the two different presets. Just can't send to softstep so any future developments are null and void at the moment.

Tried a different cable. No dice.
Editor and softstep freeze - then editor does not respond.
I believe I am already running as administrator.

Where are the crash logs to be found for the editor? Or do you mean WINDoze crash logs?

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”