SS2 freezes and advanced editor crash

Get help from other SoftStep users.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: SS2 freezes and advanced editor crash

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:02 am

Something is sent to the SS when you make changes in the settings window (a few sysex messages, I am asking the engineers what those are) but the changes wont take effect until you 'Send to Softstep', it's not the same type of data transmission. You can check this by hitting the back lighting button. Nothing will change until you Send the data.

Also, you CAN update your firmware with no problem? If so, that suggests that there is something wrong with the setlist/preset data or access to the data. You are sure that your setlist has presets? Can you see the factory presets when you open the Editor?
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:00 pm

OK thanks.

Yes I did update the firmware twice, if I recall.
Yep, the factory presets are there in the file list and I have 2 presets in the setlist, which are the 2 that are onboard the softstep - fully functioning, thankfully.

I figured that one possibility would be to start writing the presets from scratch, although I actually did that with the second preset, that I originally thought may have caused the fault.
I have tried to send a factory preset to the SS and got the same crash = LED 0 stays RED and the message LOAD stays in the Name LED display and the software freezes - ie windoze message says Not Responding.

Anyway, all my stuff is in cases until a few hours time when I'll take another swipe at this. If it fails again, will try with another computer just for the hell of it. Thanks for yr help.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Trying on another system could be helpful.
Also if you could zip up the presets folder and attach it to a forum post I could see if anything jumps out.
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:33 pm

OK got to go out but here~s the zip
Attachments
SS presets folder copy with my 2 presets.zip
(123.83 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:02 pm

Connected to other computer.
Tried to upload the Toggle preset after adding it to the setlist.
Got the same crash. Not my system then. :|
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:01 am

You should't have to add the toggle preset to the setlist on a fresh install, it should already be in the setlist.
And if you're trying to just load factory presets, then this whole things has nothing to do with your preset/setlist.
I was able to load your presets up, no problem, on my machine so there's nothing wrong with your presets/setlist.

I'm still thinking it could be due to the cable/connection that is causing you these issues.
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:26 am

I have removed all the presets in the setlist except mine - seeing as you scroll through the presets with the Nav pad...I only want to scroll between my 2 presets - life is hard enough when playing live already :mrgreen:

OK cool on the connection, but I have tried various cables. So then are we looking at the USB connector on the Softsep unit? Seems hard to belive that would suddenly fail.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:26 pm

I doubt it's the unit. But as I said, an un reproducable crash is impossible for me to fix.
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:42 pm

do you think it could be a mis match between presets and the setlist?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:31 pm

No, I'm not even sure how you would go about crating a mismatch. Your presets worked fine on my system.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”