Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Dom

Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal

Postby Dom » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi,

I got a Moog EP-3 which I want to use mainly for driving virtual Wah-Wahs effects. I got one after some online research where I found that several people stated it works well with SoftStep2.

But it doesn't work for me as desired as the most of the value changes come from the last 15% of the pedal's range. Roughly the first 10% there is nearly no value change, then there is for a big chunk a very tiny value increase for the majority of the pedal's path until it hit's the last 10 to 15 %.
So if I only use the last bit, I get a nice wah-wah effect but it turns the EP-3 into a micro pedal and it's no fun.

I don't know what the hardware specs are, for the EP-2 some say it's 50k linear other claims it's 100k logarithmic:
http://lists.topica.com/lists/wavestati ... =904890237
http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/for ... 9/1678997-

I also saw these two threads, but I don't know if those are related:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2732
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=343

Anybody as some experience or deeper insight into this topic?
Thanks
Dom

p.s. Merry Christmas!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-12-25 at 01.21.05.png
Advanced Editor Screenshot after calibration for Moog EP-3
Screen Shot 2015-12-25 at 01.21.05.png (19.34 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:46 am

I'll have to wait until next week when I am back at my studio to really give this a good test, as I have an EP3 laying around. I've had good luck using it with the SS2. I would try adjusting the knob on the pedal, as well as checking the switch on the underside, and trying it in both modes. Also, reset the Global Sensitivity and reinstall the firmware. See if that changes the response at all.
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:19 am

I purchased an EP3 as well. Similar problem. Support is correct - I had to max out the knob on the EP3 to sort out the lack of pedal range.

I did get some success after that, but it has since reverted to less functionality. Have other problems with my SS2 at the moment and have not had time to try to resolve this.
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Dom, I just got my EP3 pedal to work with a full range of movement.

This is what worked for me: go to the settings window in the SS editor and open the Pedal tab and click on reset calibration.

Then try the pedal in your DAW or whatever you are using.
If that doesn't work, return to the Pedal tab in the editor and do the calibration process.

In the modline for the pedal I have a linear response set.

Hope that helps. Also you can check this post for a discussion on pedals and the SS

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2526&hilit=ep3#p9323
kfabel

Postby kfabel » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:35 am

I am having this same problem. I changed the display so I could see the MIDI output and it is indeed NOT linear by any stretch of the imagination. I have talk to the good people at KMI and they have suggested all the "reset " fixes but they have not worked for me. I believe its an issue in the SS2 not putting out a linear set of commands even though the calibration shows the pedal is linear. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I want to use this for live performance so "reset" and "turn the plug around" fixes aren't too comforting
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Thu May 05, 2016 6:26 pm

yes mine has gone south again. Only part of the pedal movement seems to function (I am trying to modulate controls in Ableton). The pedal either stops halfway, say from 0 > 63 instead of 0 >127 or does nothing until it gets to 50%)...will let you know if a recalibrate fixes it.

there is also this: from Emmett @ KMI which fixed it for me just now - I have full range again.

expression pedal Problem!
Postby emmett@KMI » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:36 pm
We have found a bug that makes expression pedals not have a full range.

To fix go to the SoftStep advanced editor and select 'Settings' - Global tab. Click the button the bottom which says 'Reset Sensitivity'. Now you can recalibrate your pedal. Do not adjust the sensitivity on the global settings tab.

I hope this helps someone!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri May 06, 2016 6:29 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote: Also, reset the Global Sensitivity and reinstall the firmware. See if that changes the response at all.

Yeah it does help :D
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Tue May 17, 2016 5:33 am

Here's another issue with the EP-3 pedal: it seems to be continually spitting out midi data when the pedal is not being moved in any way.

Any ideas why that would be happening? Something in the pot on the pedal?

Nothing fancy in the modline, just basic linear pedal function with one CC output.

Win7, Ableton 9.6.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue May 17, 2016 9:23 am

Yeah, there's probably some noise somewhere, but it's pretty hard to tell where. I get some noise when using my Ep-3 as well.
Try different cables/adapters/Exp. pedals, wee if you can narrow it down.
If it only happens in the lower or upper ranges, you might be able to use some gain/offset settings to eliminate it.
Briggy

Postby Briggy » Tue May 17, 2016 4:10 pm

Thanks!

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”