Newbie: Can't get Softstep to respond in Ableton or Reaper??

Get help from other SoftStep users.
chumbo

Newbie: Can't get Softstep to respond in Ableton or Reaper??

Postby chumbo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:31 pm

I'm on Win7 64bit, I have the SS in hosted mode, I installed LoopBe which is selected as a Controller in both Reaper and Ableton and I can't get either to receive any input from the SS?? Reaper being a bit more tricky, I started out with Ableton where assigning controllers is dead simple but nothing happens in Ableton (or Reaper) when I press a footpedal on the SS!?

I have an Edirol Keyboard/Controller and I have no problem at all with that so...what could be the problem?? Help :-(

What can I be missing??
Thanks in advance,
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Newbie: Can't get Softstep to respond in Ableton or Reaper??

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:31 pm

Any particular reason you need to use Hosted Mode? It's easier to get going with Standalone.
That being said, it sounds like an issue with your MIDI routing out of the Editor into your applications. When you have the Editor open and hit a key on the SS, does the keys modline(s) respond in the Editor?
chumbo

Postby chumbo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:56 pm

Hi,
Well, I should say I'm not really a complete newbie. I've had the SS for a long time but I haven't used it in a while and therefore I feel like a newbie all over again :cry:

Yes, when I press a pedal, I can see values changing in the editor.

I should mention also that the SS fails almost every time to reconnect if I shutdown the editor(s). I either have to reboot the PC or if I'm "lucky" unplugging and reconnecting the SS can be enough sometimes.

I suspect I could have done something wrong with the port assignments because the manual isn't always clear about when it's talking about port assignment in the SS editor or in the host application.

So, when I failed, as explained before, I was using the IN/0UT ports of the LoopBe in my DAW but I made not specific setting changes in the SS editor. I was just using the Notes preset to test communication with the DAW by assigning simple on/off controls in the DAW like a start/stop or mute ON/OFF, etc...

Thanks in advance,
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:58 am

Why don't you use Standalone Mode to Avoid the need for a virtual MIDI port and lessen confusion? Unless you REALLY need the features of Hosted Mode, that's the way to go.
It fails to reconnect to what? The Editor? Live?
The connection stuff sounds like a system/cable issue. The SS is just a USB device, connection issues aren't common on the device unless the port is busted.
chumbo

Postby chumbo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:41 am

(SORRY, DOUBLE POST...Can't figure out how to delete a post so ignore this one and just read the next one...)

Ok, I've solved one problem but a new one arises. As I had suspected, the problem came from not having the correct output port. In Key Modulation in the Editor, the output port were set to softstep share instead of LoopBe. So that's done ! :)

However, as you suggested, I had first tried the Standalone mode and there, I can't get it to work at all on neither my PC or laptop!?

In Standalone, The Editor doesn't give me any choice as to which output port to choose from and anyway, as I understood it from the manual, in Standalone, I should use the SSCOM port. So I select SSCOM in the Editor, in Ableton I chose SSCOM as input and...nothing?!
While now, if I switch to Hosted, I can get it to work through LoopBe port so...what's wrong now!?

About the disconnecting, I meant that the SS can't reconnect to the Editor. However, it's worse on the PC where I have to frequently restart the PC! On the laptop, disconnecting or changing the order of boot, has solved the problem until now.

Thanks for your help! :-)
Cheers,
Last edited by chumbo on Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
chumbo

Postby chumbo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:00 am

Ok, I've solved one problem but a new one arises. As I had suspected, the problem came from not having the correct output port. In Key Modulation in the Editor, the output port were set to softstep share instead of LoopBe. So that's done ! :)

However, as you suggested, I had first tried the Standalone mode and there, I can't get it to work at all on neither my PC or laptop!?

In Standalone, The Editor doesn't give me any choice as to which output port to choose from and anyway, as I understood it from the manual, in Standalone, I should use the SSCOM port. So I select SSCOM in the Editor, and in Ableton I chose SSCOM as input and...nothing?!
While now, if I switch to Hosted, I can get it to work through LoopBe port so...what's wrong now!?
I also tried the Basic Editor which I understand also works as Standalone mode...doesn't work either!?
I should also mention that in Ableton's Preferences, when I select SSCOM, it turns red...I don't know what that means?

I have +- the same problem in Reaper: I have SS in Standalone mode, then in Reaper Preferences I select SSCOM and I instantly get a Reaper error popup: "The following MIDI inputs could not be opened: SSCOM".
What's going on??! This is starting to freak me out! The SS is basically brand new, I've used it for only a couple of hours...is this thing broken already!?

About the disconnecting, I meant that the SS can't reconnect to the Editor. However, it's worse on the PC where I have to frequently restart the PC! On the laptop, disconnecting or changing the order of boot, has solved the problem until now.

Thanks for your help! :-)
Cheers,
chumbo

Postby chumbo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:32 am

Just bumping this one because I see you replied to another user yesterday so you are active on the forum but I guess you forgot to reply to mine.

The situation is especially worrying as I see how much you advocate in virtually every reply you post, the prefered use of the Standalone mode vs Hosted when in Windows. And besides, if something is wrong, I just want to correct it and not just forget about it simply because I'm maybe not currently in immediate need of it. It also just points to something not working correctly in my SS which could very well lead to other problems of course.

Thanks in advance for your help!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:39 am

Your SS is working fine. You have to close the Editor before connecting the device to another MIDI application when using Stanadlone Mode.

On Windows, you can only connect a MIDI device to one application at a time, so you can't be connected to Live with the Editor open. Hence the port being red in Live. It means that it is on your system but in use by another application.

The Basic Editor works in the same way. Make your edits, send the presets to the device, then close the Editor.

If you have Hosted Mode working well, and you're comfortable with it, by all means, use that. It's just easier to get up and running with Standalone mode. You plug in the SS, and you can start MIDI mapping.
chumbo

Postby chumbo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:05 am

Brilliant, that worked, THANKS! :-)

Expect a lot more posts from me in the near future as I've decide to now really get to using my SS and not be intimidated by it's complexity, which is what kept me away from it for so long...I wasn't getting anywhere and just gave up (without a doubt the hardest software I've had to deal with).

I consider this thread closed but please do keep your answers coming for the next posts!
Thanks again :-)
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:08 am

It's not so tough once you understand the terminology and how things work. You'll get used to it eventually, and it'll seem like second nature.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”