Any 'trick' to get a fairly smooth fader control (for volume)

Get help from other SoftStep users.
chumbo

Any 'trick' to get a fairly smooth fader control (for volume)

Postby chumbo » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:01 am

Hi,
I'd like to control volume faders in a DAW but I'm finding it almost unusable as it reacts in a very erratic and jumpy manner. If I set myself a vague target volume like for ex., +-100 (so 95 to 105 would be acceptable), it takes me several attempts to get there or up to 20-30 sec. to do it while having the volume going from full on to mute during my attempts!?
I'm using the Y Latch Source and I've tried virtually all the settings from linear, to cosine, logarithmic, etc... tried smoothing, delay, adjusting gain...I'm just not getting there :(

Is it even possible or should fader/knob control be reserved for wild random control where anything goes as I've seen in some of KMI video tutorials where it's controlling filters/EQs/FX and such to create EDM style glitch effects where you not really trying to be accurate at all but just going for it!
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Any 'trick' to get a fairly smooth fader control (for volume)

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:17 am

Use Y Inc for precise parameter adjustments. Y Latch is too hard to accurately land on a value.
chumbo

Postby chumbo » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:56 am

Thanks! Yes definitely works a lot better :-)
I'm starting to understand the point of the other settings as well now. I just made my first useful use of the gain function as the increment speed was a bit slow so I bumped the gain up to 3.0 and that's perfect for me! Brilliant stuff :-)

BTW...
1) is there a way to get feedback for the fader position on the SS? I haven't even started fooling around with the Display settings but I assume it should be possible to have a read out of the CC value which would reflect the volume level, right?

2) But is it also possible to have any change being made to that same fader but in the DAW, be reflected also on the SS Display? This way I can always have a true representation of where the volume is at.
And this goes for any control used on the SS that would also be used in the DAW...so is bidirectional communication possible?
Thanks,
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:12 am

chumbo wrote:I'm starting to understand the point of the other settings as well now. I just made my first useful use of the gain function as the increment speed was a bit slow so I bumped the gain up to 3.0 and that's perfect for me! Brilliant stuff :-)

There's also INC speed settings for each key in the Keys pane of the Settings window.
chumbo wrote:BTW...
1) is there a way to get feedback for the fader position on the SS? I haven't even started fooling around with the Display settings but I assume it should be possible to have a read out of the CC value which would reflect the volume level, right?

Screen Shot 2016-03-18 at 1.09.51 PM.png

Yep.
chumbo wrote:2) But is it also possible to have any change being made to that same fader but in the DAW, be reflected also on the SS Display? This way I can always have a true representation of where the volume is at.
And this goes for any control used on the SS that would also be used in the DAW...so is bidirectional communication possible?

This is possible but not easy at all. You would need some way to translate MIDI values coming from the fader to the proper MIDI CCs to control the Display (information on this is in the manual). If you're using Live you could do this with M4L.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”