Ableton & SS2 Nav L<>R

Get help from other SoftStep users.
mocker

Re: Ableton & SS2 Nav L<>R

Postby mocker » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:37 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:
gilbertplantinga wrote:Apple has released 10.11.5 to beta testers, so an official release is on it's way, but I'm not clear if this issue was addressed. Again, it's still not clear on whose end the fault lies, but we are actively looking into it. rolling out a new firmware version isn't as easy as 'fix it now'.

It was released publicly, so it wouldn't be difficult for KMI to know wether it fixes it or not.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:05 am

If it was released publicly, it wouldn't be hard for anyone to know whether it fixes it or not.

We urge users not to update their OS until they are confident all parts of their setups will work. This is how it always has been, and always will be in the computer music world. I'm still running 10.10 on my performance machine for this purpose. If it's not broke, don't upgrade, or something like that....
gilbertplantinga

Postby gilbertplantinga » Fri May 06, 2016 10:31 am

As I mentioned before, I do have older systems that work fine with the SS, but I'd really like to get things working again on the current (10.11.4) machine that does everything else in my life. Any progress here?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Fri May 06, 2016 12:16 pm

You should roll back to 10.11.3 if you want things to work NOW.

It looks like Apple's responsibility to fix something that is affecting MIDI controllers by OTHER manufacturers and developers as well as us. It would seem silly to dedicate literally all of our firmware engineer resources to fix something that isn't our fault to begin with.
mocker

Postby mocker » Sat May 07, 2016 8:37 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:You should roll back to 10.11.3 if you want things to work NOW.

It looks like Apple's responsibility to fix something that is affecting MIDI controllers by OTHER manufacturers and developers as well as us. It would seem silly to dedicate literally all of our firmware engineer resources to fix something that isn't our fault to begin with.

I'm not pissed off or anything, but, frankly, I don't agree at all. If Apple is releasing a public beta version of their latest OS, the minimum would be that KMI just checks it on a test machine, to see if the problem persists. Would that really dedicate "all of [your] firmware engineer resources" to that matter ? I just don't get it. And are there really lots of OTHER manufacturers affected by this issue ?
gilbertplantinga

Postby gilbertplantinga » Sun May 08, 2016 6:04 pm

I installed the current beta 10.11.5b on a drive that had never had a system on it today, and tested the SS with Max 7.2. Same behavior, so if this is something Apple did, it isn't fixed. As far as other midi devices having problems introduced with 10.11.4, the first 5 pages of a Google search on "mac os x 10.11.4 midi" mentioned only one other device and that was some DJ device from Pioneer. I'm not trying to be snarky, but the machine I'm running 10.11.4 on is only a couple of months old and won't run 10.10.x, and my older machines are just that - older. I bought the new machine because I needed the performance boost. So thus far I'm SOL.
mocker

Postby mocker » Mon May 09, 2016 12:24 am

gilbertplantinga wrote:I installed the current beta 10.11.5b on a drive that had never had a system on it today, and tested the SS with Max 7.2. Same behavior, so if this is something Apple did, it isn't fixed. As far as other midi devices having problems introduced with 10.11.4, the first 5 pages of a Google search on "mac os x 10.11.4 midi" mentioned only one other device and that was some DJ device from Pioneer. I'm not trying to be snarky, but the machine I'm running 10.11.4 on is only a couple of months old and won't run 10.10.x, and my older machines are just that - older. I bought the new machine because I needed the performance boost. So thus far I'm SOL.

And the DJ machine you're mentioning had its driver (or firmware don't remember) fixed now by Serato. So let's be clear, there is no other publicly known problems with midi and 10.11.4. So ?? Is KMI going to take a look at this issue ? Thanks.
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon May 09, 2016 4:32 am

mocker wrote:I'm not pissed off or anything, but, frankly, I don't agree at all. If Apple is releasing a public beta version of their latest OS, the minimum would be that KMI just checks it on a test machine, to see if the problem persists. Would that really dedicate "all of [your] firmware engineer resources" to that matter ? I just don't get it. And are there really lots of OTHER manufacturers affected by this issue ?

Considering we have ~2 firmware engineers, and they are both REALLY busy with K-Mix, any type of firmware work IS dedicating all of our resources. I didn't mean to imply that checking if the problem persists is dedicating all of our resources.

If we need to conform to something that Apple has changed in regards to USB MIDI we will, of course. I'm not saying we won't fix this if we need to, I'm just saying it's not that easy, and we can't drop everything to address it. We are a very small company (by no means comparable to Serato, so that comparison is quite unfair), so the turnaround on things like this isn't quite as fast.

I don't mean to be snarky when I say this, but if you plan on updating the OS on a machine you use to make music, you should probably check for compatibility with your gear first.

As I said in an earlier post, we're looking into it.
mocker

Postby mocker » Wed May 11, 2016 6:40 am

TheOtherSupport@KMI wrote:
mocker wrote:I'm not pissed off or anything, but, frankly, I don't agree at all. If Apple is releasing a public beta version of their latest OS, the minimum would be that KMI just checks it on a test machine, to see if the problem persists. Would that really dedicate "all of [your] firmware engineer resources" to that matter ? I just don't get it. And are there really lots of OTHER manufacturers affected by this issue ?

Considering we have ~2 firmware engineers, and they are both REALLY busy with K-Mix, any type of firmware work IS dedicating all of our resources. I didn't mean to imply that checking if the problem persists is dedicating all of our resources.

If we need to conform to something that Apple has changed in regards to USB MIDI we will, of course. I'm not saying we won't fix this if we need to, I'm just saying it's not that easy, and we can't drop everything to address it. We are a very small company (by no means comparable to Serato, so that comparison is quite unfair), so the turnaround on things like this isn't quite as fast.

I don't mean to be snarky when I say this, but if you plan on updating the OS on a machine you use to make music, you should probably check for compatibility with your gear first.

As I said in an earlier post, we're looking into it.

Alright. I just mentioned Serato because you brought the "other manufacturers" concept ;) and of course, I googled any possible issue with 10.11.4 and midi, and couldn't find any. Now, I understand that KMI is a small company. About checking compatibility before updating, you must admit that after having switched to El Capitan with no issue at all, it was hard to imagine that a simple 10.11.4 update would bring such a painful one. Now we know that 10.11.5 doesn't fix it, so we're waiting. What else ?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed May 11, 2016 12:55 pm

We're all waiting at this point. All I can do is tell you that we are aware of the issue, and will address it as quickly as we can.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”