Standalone not working: SS broken or am I missing something?

Get help from other SoftStep users.
chumbo

Standalone not working: SS broken or am I missing something?

Postby chumbo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:36 am

Hi,
I've only very rarely used the SS in standalone mode (almost never in fact) despite it being advised here as the preferred mode for beginners. I jumped right in the Hosted mode, struggled a lot but I definitely feel more comfortable with it now.
Anyway, recently when trying to involve Bome MT to accomplish some tasks that couldn't be done with the SS Editor, it was recommended on a forum to use the standalone mode so went ahead with what I thought was going to be pretty easy and straight forward so...
- Started the Editor (Softstep Connected message in green...all ok), clicked the Standalone button, checked that all the outputs in the Key Modulations are set to SSCOM Port 1 (I'm on PC btw)..
- Then I open Reaper, go to Preferences/MIDI Devices, select SSCOM as MIDI Input and set it to 'Control Only' (since it's not for playing a VSTi), hit 'Apply' and I get this message:
"Error opening devices: The Following MIDI inputs could not be opened: SSCOM"

Ok, problem with Reaper maybe? I then try in Bome MT and I also get an error message:
Cannot open MIDI input device 'SSCOM'. There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory, and then try a...(message truncated, can't read more)

(the 2nd half of that message is nonsense, I have tons of memory and I have vittually nothing else running)
Also, Bome has a sort MIDI monitor function and it clearly shows that nothing is coming in that SSCOM port!?

Same thing in Mobius as well, no error message but it doesn't receive anything from SSCOM (when using the 'MIDI Capture' to assign controls, it captures nothing, no incoming MIDI on SSCOM!)

So, something is clearly wrong here, right?! I didn't forget something?

BTW, I tried this also on Ableton & Reaper on my laptop and I didn't get the error messages there but I still don't get any MIDI communication either?! (what's going on??)
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Standalone not working: SS broken or am I missing something?

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:24 am

You can only connect a class compliant MIDI device to one application at a time. Close the Editor THEN open Reaper or BMT or whatever.
chumbo

Re: Standalone not working: SS broken or am I missing something?

Postby chumbo » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks! That was an easy one! ;)

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”