Keyboard Interaction?

Get help from other SoftStep users.
omnireq

Keyboard Interaction?

Postby omnireq » Mon May 16, 2016 5:28 am

I run a Softstep 2 in hosted mode on Win 10 and send all the midi messages through Bome.

I've noticed that when the Softstep connects to the editor, the light by the 0 button blinks rapidly for a second. I've assumed this indicates that it's connected.

I recently added an Oxygen 61 (mkiv) to my setup, and weirdly enough whenever I turn the keyboard on (after having the SS already connected) the light on the SS blinks again. It does this whether or not Bome is on. It also blinks the same way if I switch the keyboard off. It does not blink if I close the editor though.

As far as I can tell, the 2 devices aren't interfering with each other, but I am in the process of troubleshooting some other things so I'm wondering if anyone knows what that light is actually indicating?
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Re: Keyboard Interaction?

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Mon May 16, 2016 2:54 pm

The light blinking on the SS means that it is receiving some data from the Editor. Your system may be 'restarting' it's MIDI connections when a new device is added. The SS Editor can only communicate with the SS (unless you tell it otherwise) so I think you should be fine
omnireq

Postby omnireq » Mon May 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Thanks, I haven't been able to see anything bad coming from it. I initialize everything in the same order using the same usb ports to avoid problems. I do find it strange that the keyboard coming on or off is causing the editor to send, but then the Windows midi implementation is pretty screwy and it still has a faulty implementation of the class-compliant spec...still...it's been like this for so long
TheOtherSupport@KMI

Postby TheOtherSupport@KMI » Tue May 17, 2016 3:07 am

I think the Editor is just re-connecting to the SS after your USB/MIDI configuration is changed when plugging in your keyboard. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Windows MIDI implementation is garbage.
omnireq

Postby omnireq » Tue May 17, 2016 7:03 pm

Yeah. I'd really hoped they'd address it finally with Win 10, and while the Win 10 kernel is vastly improved in many ways, they still didn't fix it. And some of these problems have been around for a really, really long time.

Unfortunately I'm stuck, because Apple doesn't offer the level of hardware I need (and what it does offer is insanely marked up), and the software I use doesn't run on Linux. I'm keeping an eye on some software developments though, and I suspect that down the road I'll be willing to completely change what I use in order to move to Linux. But as my setup is heavily based in Ableton, it'll probably be like starting from scratch to design a setup in Linux. Unless the stars align and Ableton releases for Linux in order to compete with Bitwig, but I don't see that happening.

And yeah, it looks like connecting the keyboard must be forcing the SS to reconnect. In the editor for a second it goes back to disconnected then back to connected, as well as the lights. Luckily, it doesn't loose hold of the SS to Bome etc. in the process. I'll need to test having to reset things in the middle of performing though, since I'm unsure how the voodoo dance with work with all my other software running and something is bound to break at some point.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”