Standalone Time Frame for Windows????

Get help from other SoftStep users.
BuleriaChk

Standalone Time Frame for Windows????

Postby BuleriaChk » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:56 pm

I am running WinXP, and didn't realize there is no standalone version (yet), which is the only way I would ever use it anyway. What is the time frame for Windows standalone? (if it is not soon, I'll have to return the Softstep and order it later).

I agree with Loop Station Zebra; this device is very promising, but the software is not yet ready for primetime, and certainly not trustworthy for gigs, for me (at least at this initial stage). Installation should b effortless and error free, and should not conflict with Ableton devices (e.g., APC40 - especially!)

It has been a very frustrating eight hours, and no work has been accomplished other than a few new swear words in my vocabulary....:-) I am a very experienced computer user, especially in music software, and the problems with this peripheral are inexcusable in my estimation, especially as there is no hint of possible issues in your FAQ, and vague refereances to Midi Yoke and a missing chapter on Midi Busses (and it is unclear if you are referring to Windows or Mac computers)....
Keith
Head Honcho

Re: Standalone Time Frame for Windows????

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:03 am

Hi Patient Person,

We are using the Windows Standalone in house for final test right now (well it is 8 AM so in a few hours) and have been banging on it for weeks. The last few tweaks and burps are getting nailed and this will be out in days not weeks.

We have added a lot of functionality to both win and mac and will release together. We want this out asap but do not want to ship anything less than we know you will require in terms of performance and reliability. And we have to test on a variety of Win systems so this always explodes the matrix.

Thanks - Keith
donfrantz

Postby donfrantz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks Keith--really looking forward to it.

Don
Otis Scarecroe

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:03 am

Is this release going to be another beta version? I understand that you have stated that, after the release of the final standalone version,there will a month to return the units for a refund.
There are several issues with the Mac beta version expressed here (and elsewhere) that have yet to be answered on this forum by KMI.( I assume you are not answering by PMs)That doesn't inspire confidence.I know you are a small operation, but was hoping this forum would answer questions and frustrations as they arose.There was a flurry of responses from KMI when the forum first opened and then things got quiet again.
Trying to keep the faith, Otis
BuleriaChk

Postby BuleriaChk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:10 am

Patient Person? ME? Well, ok, I will be entereing Softstep Rehab shortly...:-)

Anyway, thanks for the update. If this thing can be made to work flawlessly, without interfering with my APC40, Tranzport, or nanoKontrol, it will be a killer piece of gear.

I'll give it another week before I panic, then......

Best Regards,

Chuck

[quote="Keith"]Hi Patient Person,

We are using the Windows Standalone in house for final test right now (well it is 8 AM so in a few hours) and have been banging on it for weeks. The last few tweaks and burps are getting nailed and this will be out in days not weeks.

Thanks - Keith[/quote]
danny
KMI Moderator

Postby danny » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:59 am

Hi Chuck.
I have experienced flawless results using SoftStep (in Standalone mode) simultaneously with Ableton Live and APC40+Launchpad+Trigger Finger+Kore Controller+Akai LPK, so I wouldn't worry about it interfering with any other midi controllers.
BuleriaChk

Postby BuleriaChk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:10 pm

Hope is springing eternal.... well, ok, for a week anyway....:-)

[quote="danny"]Hi Chuck.
I have experienced flawless results using SoftStep (in Standalone mode) simultaneously with Ableton Live and APC40+Launchpad+Trigger Finger+Kore Controller+Akai LPK, so I wouldn't worry about it interfering with any other midi controllers.[/quote]
BuleriaChk

Postby BuleriaChk » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:53 pm

Under WinXP (WinXP doesn't have standalone) -

Well, I tried the Softstep with MidiYoke on my laptop, and had a lot of unexpected responses. For example, the green LED on pedal 1 the hardware comes on and off as expected (Ableton Loop Preset), but the software LED doesn't show an indication, All other pedals work as expected, when they work. I haven't tried to do anything complex, just key Live loops with the Live Loops preset, but Live hung several times, the tempo control oscillated up and down, the MIDI indicator had a solid light or blinked continuously.

It might be the board (LSZ had a difficulty with his, but mine does occasionally do what I expect it to do .. not often enough to be comforting, though)

There is a LOT of conflict with MIDI devices in Ableton Live. Many of the other inputs get greyed out by running Softstep. A couple of times I got a "MIDI feedback" message..... I have NO idea where that came from, but I had to uninstall/install the USB device and then reboot before I could get it working again. Sometimes it would work, and sometimes not, though...

When it does work on the couple of times I have gotten communication going I can increment/decrement presets, key on/off, etc. Pads seem very hard to key from a sitting position, but I haven't tried to increase sensitivity (yet). Again, I'm waiting to see if the update makes a difference, but I cannot see why the Softstep program should take so long to load. At this stage in development, the user interface seems very complete, but the flaky interface(s) between hardware, software, and Ableton Live are making me lean toward returning it early next week unless there is at least a WinXP standalone version; and I think it is a fools' errand to go on trying to work with it the way it is now.

Again, there is a learning curve because of the flexibility (a good thing) of the device, but that makes it all the more important to have foolproof drivers/interfaces so we don't waste our time troubleshooting WinXP....

Thanks for listening - the Softstep has great potential, and a lot of thought has gone into its functionality. It is a brilliant product, it just might not be useful at this point (for me)...
Keith
Head Honcho

Postby Keith » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:55 am

Hi All,

We have a release candidate for the next Mac and Win version with new K1 firmware. The new apps will check the firmware on SoftStep and allow you to automatically update so app and pedal will always be in software synch.

We will make it a public beta for a week to make sure we have addressed your concerns. Many improvements over last Mac only public beta.

Also we are working on a Scene Librarian so you can combine/remove/rearrange scenes from various Preset Folders. Expect this end of February. I really do not want to have a lot of incremental releases so you may not see what has been fixed and added until we release it but all of us use the SoftStep personally so if we weren't responding to your complaints we would be writing them.

Keith
BuleriaChk

Postby BuleriaChk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi, Keith,

For me, the end of February will be cutting it too close to get an RMA from Musicians Friend, if you are referring to the Softstep update (as well as the Librarian), and it doesn't work (and it will take some working with it to check it out). (I am not concerned with the Librarian right now, although it will be an excellent feature, but only IF the software upgrade works for WinXP).

Please let me know if the Softstep beta upgrade is to be released in late Feb along with the Librarian. (You had said a matter of days, not weeks earlier)

Thanks,

Chuck

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”