Standalone Time Frame for Windows????

Get help from other SoftStep users.
danny
KMI Moderator

Re: Standalone Time Frame for Windows????

Postby danny » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:10 pm

"There is a LOT of conflict with MIDI devices in Ableton Live. Many of the other inputs get greyed out by running Softstep. A couple of times I got a "MIDI feedback" message..... I have NO idea where that came from, but I had to uninstall/install the USB device and then reboot before I could get it working again. Sometimes it would work, and sometimes not, though..."

It definitely sounds to me like you dont have the correct MIDI ports set inside Ableton. When using SoftStep in hosted mode, you should be sending/receiving ONLY from the port you create from MIDI yoke. Make sure you have enabled TRACK and REMOTE only, You do NOT need Sync enabled.

This is REALLY important, make sure MIDI ports USB Audio Device and USB Audio Device 2 are DISABLED when using the software in hosted mode. The port you create in MIDIYoke should be the only input port enabled inside Ableton related to SoftStep. I am not 100% on the names of these under Windows XP, but typically they are names USB Audio Device and USB Audio Device 2. These are the RAW data ports where SoftStep sends information to the SoftStep software to be formatted. So if you are receiving the raw data in your host program as well as SoftStep software data, you are definitely going to experience issues.
SarahKMI
KMI Moderator

Postby SarahKMI » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Chuck,

Keith was referring to the preset librarian when he wrote that it should be ready by the end of February. The next windows and mac version of the SoftStep software will be ready much sooner than that. Our release candidate is being tested as we speak and we are indeed hoping to release it in days not weeks. Thanks!

-Sarah Howe
BuleriaChk

Postby BuleriaChk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:57 pm

Sarah and Danny,

Thanks for the quick responses and updates. I did have the USB ports enabled in Live (as I remember), and I think the sync may hve been on as well, so that may have been the problem there (The WinXP manual is none too clear IMO; you may want to flesh it out a little.). I'll try again this weekend. I think I can give it until next Wednesday or Thursday before requesting an RMA (I can always return it and purchase it again, maybe MF will extend my RMA... but the sooner I can begin working on the standalone for WinXP, the better.)

Best Regards,

Chuck
BuleriaChk

Postby BuleriaChk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:52 pm

Ok, I decided to dig in again this afternoon..

I uninstalled all my USB drivers, and unplugged the USB to my APC40. I then scanned for hardware in Device Manager, and computer flashed SSCOM and then installed the softstep as USB Audio Device in Device Manager.

I then reattached the APC40 and the computer flashed APC40 and then installed the APC40 as USB Audio Device in Device Manager (The Second USB Audio Device, no (2)...

I then started up Live 8.2.1, and the APC40 lit up and works normally.

I then started SoftStep, and it initialized with USB Audio Device (2) as input/Output Ports, and Midi Yoke 1 as outputs for all the pads. With the exception of Pad 1, the lights work as expected, and I can increment/Decrement presets as expected.
==============================================================================
For Pad 1, the LED on the hardware works as expected, but the software indicator does not come on, although the pad seems to work in sensor view. Nevertheless, there may be some issue with the hardware, since I have installed/reinstalled Softstep several times with the same issue.
================================================================================

In Ableton, the only devices enabled are the APC40 (USB Audio) - the label APC40 does show up, the Tranzport I/O, and Midi Yoke 1 (only Track and Remote). No sync for anything. There is midi in when pads are pressed (according to the MIDI in indicator - I haven't assigned anything yet, but it is a good sign)

However, two (disabled) instances each of Audio Device (2) are visible in Live, which I assume are the inputs for Standalone Mode, and will have to be enabled if unhosted.....
===============================================================================
So, with the exception of the software LED (please advise), if I connect and initiate in the exact order as above, it seems to be working. I haven't tried nanoLive yet (which uses Bourne software) for my nanoKontrol, but I'll hold off on that issue for a bit.
=========================================================================
1. You really should have a driver or a live script if possible, at least for WinXP - I don't know what can be done, but Stray at www.NativeKontrol.com has done marvelous work with nanoLive and Bourne.

2. There should be an installer that places the Softscript folder automatically in the Program Files section - I didn't know about that until I found it in the 1.099 manual. The updated manual is only mentioned in the context of the mac (1.099); WinXP was pretty much leftout in the 1.031 manual, although I may have missed it. (Obiously I haven't tried to save/recall presets from disc yet)
=========================================================================
I'm going to run through your Live Demo now and see if it works......
BuleriaChk

Postby BuleriaChk » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:36 pm

My experience in the Live Drum Demo.....

1. Rescanning MIDI refresh removed the connection between Softstep and Live. Had to reboot the computer..
2. We need Live sets that correspond to the presets, so we can see what everything does (i.e., how you were thinking when you created the presets) ....

In WinXP- in the drum demo set, only pedals 2,3,4 work as expected. None of the others have any effect whatever. (This may because it was programmed for mac standalone???) These pedals do not have outputs to MIDI Yoke....
ericzang

Postby ericzang » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:23 am

Chuck, these suggestions are worth a try if you haven't yet (although I'm on Win7 x64).

MidiYoke control panel - set to "don't detect feedback". Had some crazy problems with my bcr2000 in mackie control mode until I did this. I don't know if it affects SS, but all is working fine still set this way.

I have a nanokontrol with ableton. Launch the softstep software _after_ launching ableton. If I launch it before ableton, the nano does not work.

If those don't work, just threaten the SS that you are going to start expecting it to start its numbering scheme from 12 instead of 1 ;-)
Keith
Head Honcho

Postby Keith » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:48 am

Hi,

The Standalone update will be shipping this week. The Librarian beta before end of Feb.

Keith
BuleriaChk

Postby BuleriaChk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Hi, Keith,

That's good news. I still have an issue with the LCD simulator in Softstep software not working w.r.t. pad 1 on my sofstep board (which does work). All other pads are OK (as expected). Don't know if this is a software or a hardware issue (I can still return the board for a replacement if it is a hardware issue.)

Running WinXP SP3...

Please Advise,

Chuck
BuleriaChk

Postby BuleriaChk » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:29 am

Ok, it is Friday, and I'm logged in to the Internet......:-)
Keith
Head Honcho

Postby Keith » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:06 pm

Hi -

Please check announcements topic - Sarah just posted Release Candidate for Mac and the Windows RC should be up there end of the day. We plan to beat on both more over the weekend and release next week. Please download and try out. These are the full featured V 1.1 with Standalone and 6 factory presets. Documentation is not final but still correct.

Thanks - Keith

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”