How do you travel with it? Fragility, etc

Get help from other SoftStep users.
zoecello

How do you travel with it? Fragility, etc

Postby zoecello » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:13 pm

I'm ready to take this little guy on tour.

I'm wondering how fragile it is, what parts of the pedal are more fragile than others, how much can it get knocked around in transit,etc. And what do folks put it in when they travel? Bubble wrap is all I could come up with right now.

Thanks.
adamqlw

Re: How do you travel with it? Fragility, etc

Postby adamqlw » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:49 am

It fits snugly in the back of my 2U rack. I don't stick any extra padding in there but it seems none the worse for wear.

Although my tour schedule of casual jamming a couple of times a week is hardly anywhere near comparable to yours ;)
Otis Scarecroe

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Hi Zoe,

I'm guessing the most fragile part of the Softstep would be the little plastic inset bit that carries the display and jacks. Haven't tried to break it, but it seems a little wimpy at that point. The rest is pretty unbreakable from what I've seen and cause that's how it's marketed!

I would also make sure that part, with cables plugged in, should be kept safe from errant stomping feet.Right angle usb cables are available -- less tempting to a toe or HEEL.(The BBcode don't work, no bolding or itals, so CAPS)

Wrapping it in a towel and/or snugging it in a laptop bag big enough( you're carrying a laptop yeah?)should more than protect it. It's a "foot pedal" meant for stompin' after all.
Edit: Geez, I forgot the promo shot! You can put on some high heels and carry it in the back pocket of yer jeans !

Respect, Otis
ericzang

Postby ericzang » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Yes, be aware of the part where the cables plug in. If going direct to a usb port, a right angle usb B connector would be safer, but if you use the expression pedal input, you actually need a "left angle" connector, because the expression pedal plug will be in the way. I haven't found a reasonably priced one yet. If someone finds one, please post the link!
soundog

Postby soundog » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:15 am

I cut a thin piece of strong wood (or use similar nonflexible sturdy material such as plexiglass) the same width and depth of the pedal. Then I just place that over the top of the pedal and wrap it all in a towel. This gets thrown in my gig-bag with other cables and pedals. The pedals carbonite backing and masonite together make it very sturdy, and the wood/towel protects the buttons....
pepezabala

Postby pepezabala » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:25 am

i put it into the small bag that comes with it, and then I put it into my guitar bag, together with my telecaster. no problem! actually really great, because I can travel with all my equipment in two bags
nununu

Postby nununu » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:11 am

Yesterday I had a gig using the Softstep standalone. At some point it was sending all wrong midi (program change) infos. I unplugged & replugged the USB cable & it went back to normal. Secure all USB connections !!!
Pandamonium

Postby Pandamonium » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:21 pm

I have already had one Softstep with a faulty USb input, they are very flimsy. Mine had only been used a few times in the studio and the insert of the usb socket came loose rendering the device unusable. All I had done was plug and unplug a USB cable a few times. Maybe I was just unlucky with my first unit. When I finally got the replacement from KMI, I sealed around the edge of the USB socket with super glue for extra strength, has been fine so far and have used it for a few gigs as well as in the studio. Other than the USB port, the rest of it looks pretty durable.
mocker

Postby mocker » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:12 am

After a concert, somebody stepped on my SS, just where the USB cable is attached, and, of course broke it, unsoldering the USB plug. Had to buy another unit. Have to find someone who can fix this, with the right soldering tools…
Otis Scarecroe

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:13 pm

Mocker,

When you said: "had to buy another unit", I'm hoping you meant the cable and not the Softstep itself.( I don't think I'd "buy" another Softstep if that's what actually broke!I'd guess KMI would have the soldering capabilities in that case.)

Where exactly did it "break/desolder"- at the male USB plug on the cable or the female jack on SS?

Are you using the Expander with the mini USB plug to the Softstep?

This is becoming an interesting thread again.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”