expression pedal via pads

Get help from other SoftStep users.
futureGlue

expression pedal via pads

Postby futureGlue » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:50 pm

I am just beginning to work on a setup with a new expression pedal.

The EV-5 has been calibrated and I can get output. However is there a way to assign specific midi sends to different pads?

i.e. press on 1, pad led 1 on, pedal sends cc1 - press on 2, pad led 2 on, pedal sends cc2, etc

Also when I switch scenes, from expression pedal scene to loop scene, I still get output from the pedal even though there is no pedal definition in that scene. posting.php?mode=post&f=10#

cheers
dirk

Re: expression pedal via pads

Postby dirk » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:00 pm

Just put a modline in each pad preset with pedal and the CC you want, all pads and pedals can be different.
It makes for a very powerful setup. I use an EV-5 also and it works wonderfully.
Dirk
futureGlue

Postby futureGlue » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:49 am

Hmmm...

Well I have 1 modline "pedal" as source with a different cc for each pad, however when I press down on the pedal all the pads turn on (!).

What modline should I put in there to be able to turn on and off each pad? Can you include a screen grab of one of your pads?

Ideally I would like to have a setup where I can control one or more knobs with the pedal. Also being able to turn off a whole row of pads with just one pad press would be cool.

Geez, I wish there was something between the 'easy editor' and the regular one....
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:48 pm

Yeah, unfortunately there is currently no way to dynamically change the CC# a modline is sending, nor is there a way to turn on/off modlines (or entire keys) with the keys themselves. I can add this to a list of feature requests if you like.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
ericzang

Postby ericzang » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:59 pm

I achieved this within Ableton using CC-Control plugin http://www.tobybear.de/p_midibag.html

I can't go into step by step how I did it at the moment, but using a programmable external hardware control surface (bcr2000) I programed 4 buttons to correlate to a unique CC# each, linked to the appropriate parameter in the CC-Control plugin. Then using a midi loop back port (midi yoke) to go out of ableton and back in so it can be seen as just a normal incoming CC# assignable/routeable in the typical way.

The problem is that after switching CCs there is a jump (just like fader jumps when switching parameter pages), even though Ableton is set to takeover mode. I suppose if I moved the foot pedal to min or max before switching it might work around this, but may not be appropriate for how the parameters need to be controlled.

+1 on the feature request
Last edited by ericzang on Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ericzang

Postby ericzang » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Also, EV-5 users above, I find on mine that from about values 90-127 the range is very compressed - it goes by too fast and in a small physical range near the end of the pedal's travel, not proportionate to the rest of the values/travel range. No matter what I did with the SS calibration curve I cannot correct this. When I plug this same pedal into my Remote SL keyboard controller it responds perfectly.

Do you have this issue also, or have you found a way to correct it?
Thanks
Otis Scarecroe

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Hey all,

This topic got my attention but, are these two responses not contradictory?

This from Dirk:
Just put a modline in each pad preset with pedal and the CC you want, all pads and pedals can be different.
It makes for a very powerful setup. I use an EV-5 also and it works wonderfully.
Dirk

and this from Carson:
Yeah, unfortunately there is currently no way to dynamically change the CC# a modline is sending, nor is there a way to turn on/off modlines (or entire keys) with the keys themselves. I can add this to a list of feature requests if you like.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but if you'd clarify for me I'd appreciate it.

O
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Otis,

Both responses are correct, they're just talking about two different things.

Dirk is saying that you can place a "Pedal" modline on every key and set the CC# they are outputting over to different values. This is true, but what this would do is output ten different CCs simultaneously when you moved the expression pedal. Not what futureGlue is looking for.

What I am talking about is more in line with what futureGlue is asking about. He wants to be able to change the CC# that the pedal is transmitting over depending on what key was pressed, outputting only a single stream of CC data — not ten simultaneous ones. For example: if key 1 is pressed the pedal outputs as CC 30, if key 2 is pressed, the pedal outputs as CC 31, etc. This is not currently possible with the software.
dirk

Postby dirk » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:35 pm

Wow I guess I will have to check my output to see if the pedal is always outputting on all selected CC's. Right now I'm only using 3 different ones in 3 different scenes. So that said I should be seeing my 3 adjacent CC's at all times? Even in a scene that uses a different CC for pedal? Perhaps I assumed that mappings only worked on the current scene. Is this on account of the way the pedal is set globally in the setup?
Cheers,
Dirk
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Ahhh, you're talking about setting them differently in different scenes. Then no, they won't be outputting simultaneously — you'll just get one CC being sent per scene. I thought you were talking about setting the CCs differently within the same scene.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”