Humming noise

Get help from other SoftStep users.
mrgorilla

Humming noise

Postby mrgorilla » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:32 am

I've followed all the directions on the manual to get rid of the hum, but it still has not worked.

In the meantime, I have been plugging in another guitar cord into my MOTU Hybrid mk3, and putting it in my sock. That has been my work around, and it works.

I have yet to try buying an external powered usb hub, and hoping I won't have too.

Right now my setup is MOTU mk3 hybrid, plugged into my USB drive and Softstep into USB drive. (I wish I had firewire, but my macbook doesn't)

Everything is plugged into the same power strip also.

Any other suggestions?
Kaspar

Re: Humming noise

Postby Kaspar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:15 am

I had quite loud noise when played distorted guitar, having SoftStep connected.
The noise got intolerable while moving my foot near the SoftStep.

The solution - i turned the lighting off in SoftStep.
All is back to normal now.
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:49 am

yeah, I know about the solution to turn off the lights, but I would like to have the LEDS available too :)

Also, I think my MOTU audio interface amplifies the noise. The motu runs into my mac via usb, but is external powered. When I plug the guitar in, that is when the humm shows up. HOwever, when I touch my computer or the MOTU or the ends of the input jacks, then the noise goes away.
Kaspar

Postby Kaspar » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:06 am

The LED-s are still available, only the electro-luminescent backlighting is turned off.

But yes, it's not an ideal solution, but only thing that works for me.
I have an internal soundcard (PCI) and all equipment plugged to the same powerstrip too.
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:39 pm

[quote="mrgorilla"]--snip-- When I plug the guitar in, that is when the humm shows up. HOwever, when I touch my computer or the MOTU or the ends of the input jacks, then the noise goes away.[/quote]

Hi
This definitely sounds like an 'earth' problem - improper grounding somewhere somewhere
If it is a low hum it is likely to be a groundloop - some devices will have an 'earth lift' that often solves the problem. Try to make sure that all your gear runs off the same power circuit, this often helps.
It may also be improper shielding on the guitar, touching the MOTU does it change when you touch and release the strings whilst not touching anything else?Try this in an amp as well.
Check on the net for further info on groundloops and hum,

HTH
MM
KMI StringPort_1650, SoftStep_VK2 v1.2 & MIDI Expander; Mac_Moore Guitar,
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:34 am

I think it is deinitely coming from the MOTU.

And it is grounding. Everything is going into the same power source.

When I unplug the softstep, the hum reduces a lot. Same when turning off the LED background.

When I touch the strings, (with the softstep still plugged in/LEDs still on), hum is still there.
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:36 am

If I were to leave the softstep plugged in, and the leds on, the only thing that gets rid of the HUMMMING is plugging in another guitar cord into one of my outputs on the MOTU, and place it in my sock against my skin. Then the hum is nonexistent.
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:51 pm

Well, when the SS is not plugged in, the hum is not there. However, when I plug the softstep in, then the high pitch noise kicks in. Once again, only work around is that I hook up another guitar cord into the motu out, and run it into my sock against my skin.

I tried a USB hub, but to no avail.

To reiterate, this is my setup:

Macbook (no firewire)
MOTU (runs into my USB but is powered externally)
Guitar in to MOTU.

The only time the high pitch noise goes away is if I do the trick with the guitar cord to my sock, or if I am touching my computer or the MOTU. When I hover closer and closer to the softstep, the noise gets louder.

and yes, when I turn the LED lights on the foot pads off, the high pitch noise goes away..... but I want the LED lights!!!!

both MOTU and MAcbook are hooked up to the same power strip.

Softstep (runs into Macbook usb port.. duh!)

I even tried my crappy m-audio interface, and I get the same issue... but worse... The m audio one is usb powered.

help!
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:20 am

here are some pics of my setup to see if anyone can help.

I bought a external powered usb hub. However, the softstep can still draw usb power from it without the hub plugged into it's own ac power.
Attachments
photo-3.JPG
photo-3.JPG (35.36 KiB) Viewed 7715 times
photo-2.JPG
photo-2.JPG (23.12 KiB) Viewed 7715 times
photo-1.JPG
I have my motu and softstep hooked up to the usb hub.
photo-1.JPG (40.83 KiB) Viewed 7715 times
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:21 am

here is it all together
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (37.67 KiB) Viewed 7715 times

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”