Humming noise

Get help from other SoftStep users.
wasi

Re: Humming noise

Postby wasi » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:02 pm

Chumbo, does the humming stop when you turn of the backlight? If it doesn't, it's simply not the hum we are generally talking about in connection with the Softstep. The fact that you get it on your laptop and not on your desktop seems to indicate it's not the 'backlight hum'.

Similarly, if there is hum with the SS on the laptop but no hum with the SS on your desktop, you can eliminate the common elements of that setup as the cause of the hum. It can't be the softstep that is at fault if it hums in one setup but not in the other. That's science. There's nothing to belive or not believe about it. :)

That's not to say that you may not be hearing hum from the softstep, but the fault will be elsewhere. Like I explained, if the power draw of the SS is higher than what your laptop is providing, you may hear hum from the SS, reflecting it's power draw, but not by fault of the SS. Like how the room lights flicker when you turn on the hairdryer: It's because of the hairdryer's power draw, but it's not the fault of the hairdryer that your appartment doesn't have enough current to absorb such an event.

And finally, whether the laptop is plugged in or not has no bearing on how much current the internal electronics can provide. A lot of USB-ports on laptops are underpowered by design. Try an externally powered hub. That's the only way you can eliminate this as the cause.

The bottom line is, if the SoftStep works perfectly on your desktop, the Softstep simply works perfectly and there's a problem with your laptop setup. Simple as that. No piece of gear can provide for shortcomings of every other piece of gear (or warn against them).

So please:
  • Turn off the backlights to see if the poroblem persists. If it does, it's not what we're talking about here.
Then, with the backlight off:
  • try an externally powered USB hub and power your Audio interface externally to eliminate power issues on the USB hub as a cause. Make sure it's plugged in to the same sockets as all your other gear you're using. Try all USB sockets on your laptop.
  • Try it without the audio interface plugged in. Does it still hum?

Then report back. Right now you are blaming KMI and speculating on causes against all indications, which are that the SoftStep works fine and your laptop has issues.
chumbo

Postby chumbo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:51 am

Wasi, when I turn off the backlight, yes the hum goes away.
The fact that it doesn't happen on my desktop, is in my opinion related to the fact that on my desktop I'm not using a USB soundcard. I don't feel like going thru all 10 pages of posts to find out but it would be interesting to see if all users with the problem are in fact using a USB soundcard.

if there is hum with the SS on the laptop but no hum with the SS on your desktop, you can eliminate the common elements of that setup as the cause of the hum. It can't be the softstep that is at fault if it hums in one setup but not in the other. That's science. There's nothing to belive or not believe about it.

We've already been thru that in our last posts, I answered that already. You bring it up again so let me try again to get my point accross:
Very simple actually, they are NOT the same setup since in one case I use a USB soundcard and the other a PCI soundcard. And as I've been saying, I think it's a problem of the Softstep design which isn't happy sharing USB with a USB soundcard.

whether the laptop is plugged in or not has no bearing on how much current the internal electronics can provide. A lot of USB-ports on laptops are underpowered by design. Try an externally powered hub

Oh? I didn't know that. Ok, I'll try that then. Though it probably will have to wait until I get back from holidays after July 22.

The bottom line is, if the SoftStep works perfectly on your desktop, the Softstep simply works perfectly and there's a problem with your laptop setup. Simple as that. No piece of gear can provide for shortcomings of every other piece of gear (or warn against them).

Here we go again, I addressed that already above and in my previous post. Shall we put that one to rest now?

You also keep forgetting I'm far from the only user reporting this problem and we all have different laptops or desktops. What do we all have in common? That's right, the Softstep. So it's your logic applied in reverse, look at the common culprit for the blame rather than letting him off.
The only way to settle this difference efficiently and for good, once and for all, would be for me to install my USB card on my desktop and see what happens. If THEN, I don't have any hum, then you were right (although I still doesn't address why so many others report the same exact problem?), otherwise, I'm on the right track. Right now, I'm not ready to do that yet. Don't want to risk messing up and good working PC but I'm might resign to it if all else fails.

Then, with the backlight off:
try an externally powered USB hub and power your Audio interface externally to eliminate power issues on the USB hub as a cause. Make sure it's plugged in to the same sockets as all your other gear you're using. Try all USB sockets on your laptop.
Try it without the audio interface plugged in. Does it still hum?

Ok, I'll try that and report back late July.

Right now you are blaming KMI and speculating on causes against all indications, which are that the SoftStep works fine and your laptop has issues.

Your opinion, I just don't agree with it.
wasi

Postby wasi » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:03 am

Keep in mind I have it to. I've just turned the backlight off and stopped worrying.

What you desribe sounds more like a USB-power issue. The backlight would influence that as well because it influences how much power the SS draws. We'll see after your testing.
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:23 am

do you think if the the interface was powered via firewire that would make a difference? My interface has that option, but my computer doesn't have firewire.
dirk

Postby dirk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:20 pm

I have a firewire audio interface, and I still get the hum. Turn off the backlight, problem solved. Luckily I care more about my ears than my eyes. :)
Dirk
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:43 pm

Is your interface Powered via FireWire? Or AC adapter?
dirk

Postby dirk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:20 pm

Firewire buss powered.
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 am

I wrote to KMI about this. They said that people have been able to fix it. When I asked them to point me to people who have successfully done so, they didn't respond. I sent my email to various KMI staff and even sent it direct message to the board moderator more than 3 times. I never even got an update or anything. I think I have been extremely patient, especially since I sent these messages in July. Very poor customer service. It was outstanding at first, but now I feel they are intentionally ignoring me.
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:02 am

"...I wrote to KMI about this. They said that people have been able to fix it...."

I don't believe them! Only way to 'fix' it is turn off the lights.

Dave
(don't get around here much anymore...)
NoFi

Postby NoFi » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:25 am

As far as public relations can go, KeithMcMillen admitted the problem himself a long time ago on page 7 of this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=53&start=60
More recently, support admitted the problem in this thread :
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=594&start=10

This closed the matter as far as i'm concerned.
You can always mention it in the recent survey. :-)

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”