Humming noise

Get help from other SoftStep users.
DaveDraper

Re: Humming noise

Postby DaveDraper » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:10 am

Wearing an earth strap or similar earthing precautions might help, but don't confuse earth-loop hum with this interference (see attached image). It's digital interference transmitted electromagnetically & detected by the guitar pickups.
My old strat used to pick up BBC2 & local taxi services sometimes.
Belt & braces earthing might mask it, but it shouldn't be there in the first place. Fluorescent backlighting was a BAD idea.
Dave

Sorry 'bout that attachment, this one's a bit better - quieter maybe? :)
Attachments
SoftstepBackLightInterferen.jpg
(72.27 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Last edited by DaveDraper on Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 am

Dave,

Thanks for the input. The more attention to this, the better. I just wonder why other people haven't been bringing this up.

Also, to reiterate. When I have the softstep plugged into my macbook, without my guitar plugged into my MOTU ultralite USB interface, then there is no noise (high pitched noise) from my feet hovering over the softstep.

When I do plug my guitar into the MOTU, or better yet, when I touch the input (end of the guitar cord that is suppose to go into the guitar) while the MOTU is plugged into my macbook (and setup in ableton as my input and output) I hear the same high pitched noise.

I tried changing the output to come directly from my macbook, but still have the input (my guitar and vocals) come through the MOTU.

So it's weird. The MOTU isn't causing the noise, but it has to be involved in order for the LED's to start causing the noise.
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:23 am

Someone posted this in another forum about the softstep LED's interference:

"My last try would be grounding the gear, as I don't see any ground connection in your setup.
Go to an electronics shop, or electrician, and let them make a ground lead. This can be dangerous if you do this yourself.
You will need a short (2-4 feet) single wire with a clip on one end, and a powerplug at the other end.
The lead has to be connected to the ground pin inside the power plug.
Now plug the power plug into your multibox, and attach the clip to a metal part on the MOTU, e.g. the XLR lock lever.
PM me if this fixes the problem, so I can make a "safe" post about that."
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:13 am

To be honest, I haven't really attempted to earth my gear (it's already earthed - here in UK we still have three-pin fused plugs), since many others have tried following the manual's workarounds, without much success from what I've read. Everything runs off a single power point in star formation, & even taking the laptop & softstep into another room on their own, the problem's the same.
True, if I'm touching the guitar strings/bridge etc the interference goes away, & it's greatest while hovering my foot close to the SS (my body's acting as a kind of aerial or amplifier), but I don't have this sort of problem with any of my other gear/set up, & there's a lot of it. The only similar trouble I ever had was when I had a CRT monitor; very similar sound picked up by the guitar. I now sit in front of 2 LCD monitors & a Macbook, mixer, FX boxes, 4 delay/loopers, ADAT interface......nothing. 'Til that backlight comes on.
I'm thinking maybe I'll leave the light off & get a pot of fluorescent paint....:)
Dave
Peter Laustsen

Postby Peter Laustsen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Hi there!

I also get the high freq noise, especially when moving my foot close to the SoftStep... it's annoying.
- Regards from
Peter Laustsen
Kaspar

Postby Kaspar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:29 pm

I wonder why they didn't use LED-s instead if the EL backlight gives so much grief, didn't they test it?
Otis Scarecroe

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:11 pm

Anybody try a wireless yet ? Most often hums disappear when I'm using one with humbuckers. With single coil pick ups:sometimes, but not always.
O
veloopity

Postby veloopity » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:14 pm

same here - very disappointing that I have to switch the cool looking (and useful) backlighting off. Will try a powered USB hub tomorrow but have little hope.
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:30 am

here is a recording of the noise I hear with the LED's on + my foot near the board + my hand off the computer. Again, if I touch the computer or move my foot away from the softstep or place another guitar cord into the output of my MOTU and run that cord into my sock (so against my skin)........the humming goes away.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/32shga
Tom@KMI
KMI Moderator

Postby Tom@KMI » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:15 pm

Hm... have you tried using a ground loop isolator?

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”