Humming noise

Get help from other SoftStep users.
mrgorilla

Re: Humming noise

Postby mrgorilla » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:25 pm

I just started researching about them.

How would that work (i.e. where do I place the GLI in my setup)? The only ones I find are showing two RCA cables.
polimorfos

Postby polimorfos » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:43 am

I thought the point of using the USB hub to eliminate hum was to use an external power supply, not bus power. Have you tried the power supply for the hub?
theau

Postby theau » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:57 am

Hi
I am a new softstep user. I just wanted to say I have the same "hum" using the softstep with ableton and a Duet audio interface. The prevent the hum (loud!) I deactivate the backing light and the hum disappear. I didn't spent more time with this pb, but I know it comes from the softstep.
I really hope a future software update can solve the pb.
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:20 am

I did try the usb power hub, but no success. I tried two different ones too.

I know about the backlight issue (turning it off) corrects it. I am just hoping to fix the lighting issue eventually do I can use this baby live (and in the dark)

I spoke with Sarah, and they requested I try and fix a grounding issue with my guitar. I am attempting to do this, but I am not super guitar tech savvy when it comes to doing this. I am trying though... just taking me longer than expected.

What kind of guitar do you have Theau?
Stew

Postby Stew » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:59 am

Once again ... prospective new user wondering if there is anything new on this issue?
Peace,
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:28 am

kmi asked me to make a modification to my guitar (to help with a possible grounding issue), where I would place a piece of metal under my bridge inside my guitar. I have yet to do it. In the meantime I have left my lights off.

I wonder if a different guitar would help fix the issue or if this is universal.
Stew

Postby Stew » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:35 am

Are they single coil pickups?
Peace,
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:37 am

ummmmm... please help refresh my memory as to which is which. When you say pickup, are you referring to the pickups that can be manually installed in the front? and single coil is internal?
Stew

Postby Stew » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:41 pm

Pickups are what "pick up" the sound of the guitar strings and turn them into an electrical voltage.

Is it an electric guitar Mr. G? If so the pickups usually sit on top underneath the strings where you pick/strum the instrument. Single coil pickups are about the same width as your finger and run across under all the strings, the often have six pole pieces (the tops of magnets—basically chrome dots) that line up with each string. Humbucker pickups are designed to reduce hum. They are normally twice as wide as single coil pickups but sit under the strings in about the same place and do basically the same thing (convert the vibration into an electrical signal).

If Sarah @KMI is asking you to fix a grounding issue then yes, maybe a different guitar would help to work out if that is the problem. Do you have one that you can borrow from a friend?

I seem to remember though Mr. G that the humming didn't happen when the SoftStep was not plugged in ie. Motu+Guitar+Computer = No problem. If that's the case it seems strange to me that it would be a grounding issue with your guitar. If the problem was with the guitar I'd expect to hear it with just the Motu.

Also, is it possible for you to re-post the sound file of the noise? The free hosting of the file has expired.

As a prospective buyer I'm more than happy to try to help you through this issue if I can. I've been working with music making gear for a long time now so may be able to provide some insight into how to isolate the problem.
Peace,
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:42 pm

http://www.sendspace.com/file/zs3j5r

it is an acoustic electric guitar.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”