Humming noise

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Otis Scarecroe

Re: Humming noise

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 pm

This topic has been active for sometime now.
Wondering if anybody in the community using the Softstep with their guitar has no hum problem with the backlight on?

A few questions for those dealing with hum:

Is this happening with electric guitars only? If so single coil and/or humbuckers?

If acoustic/electric what kind of electronics?

Any body get hum while using a musical keyboard?

Is this occurring when using Softstep in Standalone as a midi controller for Hardware gear or only when using with a computer?

The more concise info provided by users with or without hum problems the easier to solve the problem.

Respect, Otis
andiviola

Postby andiviola » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:14 am

no noise with this setup:

MBP - metric halo 2882 - electric viola (NS-design CR4; piezo, active).

didn´t try my other instruments yet, i will do this and post the results.

+1 for the sock plug, very funny ;-)
Stew

Postby Stew » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:24 am

andiviola wrote:
> +1 for the sock plug, very funny ;-)

That's +1 "you like" ... not +1 "that's what I'm doing", right? ;-)
This input is very helpful for those trying to work out where their problem lies. I'm sure it's also helpful to the KMI team ... and it's definitely helpful to a prospective buyer like me!

Thanks ... let's here some more feedback
Peace,
andiviola

Postby andiviola » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:11 am

yes, it´s for "i like", i don´t have to do this -
no hum on my system,
no need for the sock plug!
sorry for the confusion.
andi.

Stew wrote:
> andiviola wrote:
> > +1 for the sock plug, very funny ;-)
>
> That's +1 "you like" ... not +1 "that's what I'm doing", right?
> ;-)
> This input is very helpful for those trying to work out where their problem lies. I'm
> sure it's also helpful to the KMI team ... and it's definitely helpful to a
> prospective buyer like me!
>
> Thanks ... let's here some more feedback
NoFi

Postby NoFi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:03 pm

I did some more testing.
I tried just pluging my guitar into my old tube amp instead of the soundcard and the computer...

The softstep is powered from the usb port on my computer.
It does the same thing, if i put my foot on the softstep with the EL lighting on : hum in the amplifier.
I tried several (passive) electric guitars, both single coil and humbucker, it does the same thing with all of them.

So basically i might be wrong but i think the magnetic pickups are sensitive to the EL backlighting either directly if close enough to the sftstep or through the user's body when the user touches the softstep.
When the user touches the strings, part of the interference is grounded and goes away, and if additionnally the user connects himself to ground (the jack in the sock thing) then all the interference goes away though the ground.
DaveDraper

Postby DaveDraper » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:09 am

"....if additionnally the user connects himself to ground (the jack in the sock thing) then all the interference goes away though the ground."

How about free copper slippers with every softstep?

..Or playing in a faraday cage (could look good as a stage-set...?)

..Or possibly, (serious for a moment), some kind of radio frequency filter somewhere in the system? Probably have to be in the softstep though. ie, the lighting system? Just thinking aloud.

I've given up with the lights, but it's irritating to have to manually turn them off each time in v1.1; maybe that's fixed in 1.2 now - soon find out!

Dave
ronandc

Postby ronandc » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:59 pm

You shouldn't have to manually turn the ELs off every time. There is a slight bug with that yeah it seems, but if you just switch the application into standalone mode for a minute, turn ELs OFF from [i]there[/i], they should stay off forever then.

The hum is all just due to the lights, yeah.
SoftStep, Windows 7, Ableton Live 8.2.1, LoopBe30, Rig Kontrol 3, iPhone app "Control" with RTPMIDI
Otis Scarecroe

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:02 pm

So this happens in standalone with hardware setup ( no computer involved ) if lights are on?
This, again, would be a good time for a KMI response to this issue on the forum, if possible.
You guys (KMI moderators) reading this?
Is this fixable or not?
It's good to know the limitations of any piece of gear, and not go round in circles!

Respect,O
mrgorilla

Postby mrgorilla » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:24 pm

I'm sure they are looking into this, but they have to prioritize. I have faith. The kmi staff is awesome. I'm sure they will have a solution at some point.
Stew

Postby Stew » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:39 pm

It's a pretty messy one though!

It sounds like it's not being introduced into the circuit because one of the components is not properly grounded ... it happens even when the components aren't physically connected (from what I've understood so far).

So that means the lights are creating so much interferance that it is being picked up by guitar pickups that normally don't have a problem with noise AND it can be induced into the signal ground by moving A BODY PART closer to the interferance.

This ain't gonna be a simple software update!
Peace,

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”