Humming noise

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Axel

Re: Humming noise

Postby Axel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 am

I can confirm the noise issue with my guitar just plugged into a Zoom G2 and from there into my Stereo. No audio interface involved. And yes, I can indeed hear that same noise when I hold the SoftStep close to my ear. I'm using a guitar with humbucker and grounded strings. Using a better shielded cable helped but there's still too much noise.

This fluorescent light, as cool as it looks, seems to be problematic. I wouldn't consider this a _slight_ bug, btw. More a design mistake.
Stew

Postby Stew » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Just to clarify Axel, you've got SoftStep in stand-alone mode plugged into your G2 via midi and then audio out into your stereo ... is that correct?
Peace,
Otis Scarecroe

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Axel,
For further clarification....

You "hear the humm when you hold the Softstep to your ear.."
I assume you hear the humm out of your speakers with Softstep on and not connected to any other gear,and when you turn the SS off the humm in the speakers goes away???

Will we go round in circles..?

O
Axel

Postby Axel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:31 am

Sorry, I'll try to be more precise:

Usually, the Zoom G2 is plugged into my Audiofire card. The SoftStep is connected to the usb port of my MBP. When I started having the noise issue I tried to isolate the problem, so I unplugged the G2 from the Audiofire and connected my headphones to the G2's audio out. The buzz was still there. Then I tried a different instrument cable which reduced the buzz significantly, but not to the point where it would be negligible.

I also get the effect that when I come closer to the SoftStep with my foot (which is what you do with a footswitch, isn't it) while playing guitar, the buzz gets louder.

Then, after reading this thread, I held my ear close to the SoftStep, and found the unit itself to be buzzing when the fluorescent lights were on. Just like a bad neon tube. I'm asking myself: is this the expected behaviour or do I have a faulty unit?

I think I'm going to contact tech support.

Best,
Axel
andiviola

Postby andiviola » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:14 am

Axel wrote:
> Then, after reading this thread, I held my ear close to the SoftStep, and
> found the unit itself to be buzzing when the fluorescent lights were on.<

i can confirm the SoftsStep´s buzzing coming directly from my unit too, not connected to anything.
in my case, when i have connectet to my system - no noise (as mentioned above, viola with active piezo, metric halo 2882, MBP, speakers)
andi
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:06 am

Hi All
No noticable noise here with either piezo/magnetic brian moore or fender strat with gk2 hexpickup going into various roland gear and KMI StringPort to iMac which has SS/MIDIExp connected . Monitored from various points - no light associated noise.
I am assuming all gear is running off the same power source? i am guessing it is is a single coil strat style pickup?
Do you have access to any test equipment? Can you test the earth of the power circuit you are using? Getting a multimeter and checking your earths would help too and visual inspection too - i have seen production guitar wired with earth loops and bad solder joints.
Aluminium foil tape on the cavity covers and even around the pickup cavity can help cure induction noise issues with pickups sometimes too . . .
Sorry to hear tha you are having issues . . .
cheers
MM
KMI StringPort_1650, SoftStep_VK2 v1.2 & MIDI Expander; Mac_Moore Guitar,
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
Axel

Postby Axel » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:32 am

Macciza wrote:
> I am assuming all gear is running off the same power source? i am guessing
> it is is a single coil strat style pickup?

Same power source. Guitar is a PRS Classic Electric with two humbuckers and it has never had any noise problems whatsoever. I've tried with an acoustic guitar with piezo pickup which gives me no interferences.

> Do you have access to any test equipment? Can you test the earth of the
> power circuit you are using?

Sorry, I'm an electricity illiterate. But I'll ask a friend.

Macciza, does your unit hum of itself?
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Hi
Yes mine makes a noise/sound - I would call it more a 'tone' then a 'hum' ~440Hz roughly A-note 1st Str 5th Fret.
But hearing physical sound does not necessarily mean there is electrical noise / hum . . .
Are you hearing a 'tone' (as described) from the unit or from your sound system?
I figure the piezos are inherently immune to EMI problems, humbuckers should largely avoid the issue too . . . .
Has the guitar ever been rewired? Coil-taps or splits? Even just resoldering of anything??
Maybe try your setup at your friends place? Get him to check earth system on guitar - particularly string/bridge.
Can you also check with other mag pickup guitars?
Hope we can sort it out . . .
Cheers
MM
KMI StringPort_1650, SoftStep_VK2 v1.2 & MIDI Expander; Mac_Moore Guitar,
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
HPastor

Postby HPastor » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:21 am

Hi,
when Im switch off Backlight/EL via Easy Editor than I cant switch between another preset and bank?Thanks Jan
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:25 am

HPastor,

Updating the SoftStep via the Easy Editor replaces the Standalone scenes on your board with just the Easy Editor scene. You should turn off the EL lights using SoftStep Editor if you would like to be able to access your other SoftStep scenes and keep the backlighting off. Instructions on how to do this are located in the SoftStep Frequently Asked Questions:

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/f ... off-the-el
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”