Softstep and Axe fx ultra help

Get help from other SoftStep users.
bergerbrain

Softstep and Axe fx ultra help

Postby bergerbrain » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:25 pm

Try as I may, I cannot get the axe fx preset to work (standalone with midi expander).

I have the latest software on both the softstep and the axe fx and factory defaults on the axe have been restored.

The prog change works fine. But non of the Axe fx preset works properly - I can't turn effects on or off and can't use the continuous controllers. The CC numbers match up correctly also. Strangely, The effects, if turned on first can be switched off by the softstep once (after a couple of presses) but then will not turn on or off subsequently.

I have submitted a support ticket twice over the last month but no reply... Just about ready to give up.

Any suggestions? Any successful softstep/axe fx users?
dirk

Re: Softstep and Axe fx ultra help

Postby dirk » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:14 pm

You have to program it to do what you want, I don't think there's an Axe fx preset.
You're combining 2 very powerful devices, it's not plug and play, you'll need to learn the SoftStep programming.
Most likely for your purposes you want to use note on and note off's for your effects switching. Also you will most likely need at least two scenes one to switch presets and one to turn effects on and off. Or you could use a scene to do half your presets and the other half to turn effects on and off.

The softstep is so versatile, it helps to think how you want to work with it first, and then figure out how to make it happen.

Good luck,
Dirk
Otis Scarecroe

Postby Otis Scarecroe » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:33 pm

Did you load the --- Softstep specific Axe Fx sysex patch--- in your Axe Fx ?
I don't see that in the list of things you said you did.( no dis, just maybe you missed that?)

It won't work "automatically" without it.

The Softstep AXE "scene" will only work properly with that one Axe Fx "preset" supplied by KMI.I think it loads as Axe preset #16.
( It is really only a template to show you how it works and to guide you in building your own Softstep/Axe presets)

It's in the Softstep V 1.2 "extras" folder.The internal controllers have to be set up properly in the Axe as well.There's a "read me" file in there too that might help,if you haven't seen it.
I tried to paste all of the above here, but for whatever reason, on this forum it wouldn't paste.

It's here anyway, in V1.2 download:
http://www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/downloads/

> Dirk, there actually is a "scene" for the Axe (and other hardware units:Eleven Rack, Eventide,etc.)available in there for the Softstep as well.
>Bergerbrain,you can also use controller info from the other hardware "preprogrammed" scenes using the controller "learn function" in the Axe. Saves some time!

Good luck, O
bergerbrain

Postby bergerbrain » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I've spent the last 3 hours on it and now have it working by writing my own scene for the axe with CCs. I'm not sure why the factory patch doesnt work but i think it has something to do with the axe only seeing one of the multiple CCs assigned to each key in the demo scene.

One more question - how can I set an initial value for y increment in standalone?? Not an initial value when the scene is selected (which i can do), but the value at which the increment starts out?

For example if I set up a y increment for drive level and want it to start from a level say 63, rather than from 0, how do i get y increment to start at that value?

Otherwise every time I use a CC on increment it starts from 0, even if the scene initial value is much higher..

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”