SoftStep4Live Released

Get help from other SoftStep users.
jengel

SoftStep4Live Released

Postby jengel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:17 pm

Hey fellow determined SS users,

Having gone through ~12 months now of frustrations with our beloved foot pedal, I decided to try and make a max4live device that would seamlessly integrate the softstep with ableton, and work as a jumping off point for further customization.

I just finished my first go of it using TomSwirly's softstep.jso, and I'd like to know if you find it useful, or a good starting point.
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... tstep4live

Unfortunately, it's mac only at the moment (uses lh_midin/lh_midiout), as there are some differences in midiin/midiout for max4live, but hopefully Tom will help me sort that out.
soundog

Re: SoftStep4Live Released

Postby soundog » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Jengel --

I do not use Live, but really appreciate your efforts and your sharing.

I do want to make this point to KMI and other users, in response to your statement "Having gone through ~12 months now of frustrations with our beloved foot pedal...."

It is a shame that KMI end users have to spend a lot of time and effort to resolve frustrations with the SoftStep's official software.
dirk

Postby dirk » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:39 am

Indeed I will echo what soundog said. Thanks for the hard work, I wish I was a live guy too.
Dirk
kyleshevlin

Postby kyleshevlin » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:09 pm

I don't need this script as I don't have live or a mac, but I think it's ridiculous that you would have to do all that work for your needs. If I was smart enough to know how to do that for my needs, I would do it, too. Kudos to you. KMI, quit dropping the ball. Hardware - awesome, software - pitiful!
wasi

Postby wasi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:51 am

jengel wrote:Hey fellow determined SS users,

Having gone through ~12 months now of frustrations with our beloved foot pedal, I decided to try and make a max4live device that would seamlessly integrate the softstep with ableton, and work as a jumping off point for further customization.

I just finished my first go of it using TomSwirly's softstep.jso, and I'd like to know if you find it useful, or a good starting point.
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... tstep4live

Unfortunately, it's mac only at the moment (uses lh_midin/lh_midiout), as there are some differences in midiin/midiout for max4live, but hopefully Tom will help me sort that out.

Jengel-

Thanks you for your efforts. Your software looks great (but as I'm on windows I can just sit and stare at it... ). Is there any hope for to windows? My take was there isn't at this time...

I sure wish the KMI software was a little 3MB program in the notification bar like I used to have for my joysticks...
jengel

Postby jengel » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:01 pm

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the positive words. I've definitely sunk a little more time into all this than I would like, the point is to play music after all right? I echo the frustration with the KMI software/support, I guess they're just a small company that is learning to have their software catch up with their hardware. Sorry about the limited (live/mac) functionality of the max device. I could save it with Max into an external program, but Max is very inefficient with that. That's actually the source of the awful performance of KMI's software. There's a chance they might come back and make some good software for the SS using the knowledge they've gained from QueNeo. Here's hoping.

Cheers,
Jesse

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”