No Software Updates in Over a Year?

Get help from other SoftStep users.
soundog

No Software Updates in Over a Year?

Postby soundog » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Is this true? Lots of suggestions on the forum, but I don't think I have seen any updates or improvements since June 2011, is that right? Or did I miss something?
jobot

Re: No Software Updates in Over a Year?

Postby jobot » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 pm

It has been some time since an update. Kmi is a small company, like 12 people, and they are working on getting the queno out there so it doesnt seem like any updates are on the way anytime soon.
dirk

Postby dirk » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:20 pm

Yep I drop by daily hoping for a surprise one of these days, luckily I stopped holding my breath and have learned to work around its odd quirks.
Dirk
psyndrome

Postby psyndrome » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:32 pm

Hm,

i hope there will come an update the next times...

My SoftStep is now programmed and configurated how I need it, but the delay between pushing the NAV-buttons and (too) late responsable, that feels like an half second latence. Little too much... (Yes, I configurated the Nav with values at its best what is possible)

(using MacBook Pro Retina and Ableton Live x64 Beta)
soundog

Postby soundog » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:33 pm

"If anyone walks the line between Steve Jobs and Bob Moog, it's Keith McMillen"

Hmmm. In my experience, both Jobs and Moog updated their products regularly, and listened to their customers.
lphovercraft

Postby lphovercraft » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:20 pm

I wrote that quote - and I stand by it. I used to work for Bob Moog - and he could be a chronic procrastinator. I edited an article he wrote for the encyclopedia of applied physics - and it took him so long to finish it that they changed it from "electronic music" to "music, electronic" just to get it into the "M" volume long after the "E" was fully committed. So there's that...

:geek:

As far as the SoftStep is concerned - is there something specific you're looking for in terms of functionality? I think it's pretty robust, and I haven't seen the latency issue on Nav that psyndrome has identified with his unit. I use it pretty extensively to switch through presets that talk to my guitar/bass processors as well as some transport controls in Cubase - I've never seen/felt a lag in the Nav controls. My recommendation - if you have a specific issue - is to contact their support via email. When I've had questions they've always been responsive.

Cheers,
H3
Houston Haynes - LPHovercraft Music
Desktop - Intel i7 920 12GB RAM - RME HDSP 9652
Notebook - Intel i5 8GM RAM - ASIO4All/internal chipset
Arturia Origin, Spark - KMI SoftStep, QuNeo
Mobius Megatar, Roland VG-99/VB-99
jobot

Postby jobot » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:13 am

My issue, and probably most peoples, is the software. The light buzz is kind of weird but i have alot of gear that makes noise on its own so ive got used to it. But the general bloat(1g ram usage) and instability of the software are my key issues. I function around the problems as well as i can because i dont believe kmi will come back and make revisions or updates to the software
soundog

Postby soundog » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:25 pm

H3 ---

Thanks for you thoughts. I use a lot of music and tech products and, for me, innovation is a wonderful thing, but you have to back it up by really listening to your customers. Thats the magic combo that put Mr Jobs on the map. I, and many other customers, have posted our requests for features and fixes in the Feature Wishlist forum. Read through the posts there. There are some really great ideas on there, as well as valid complaints. So, plenty of upgrade potential, but only one revision so far?

I use the pedal in standalone, and the software used for editing is some of the worst I have used in terms of usability, stability, reliability, and response/speed. I don't know what is involved in fixing this, but it would surprise me if it is not fixable. Why no updates? Why no implementation of all the feature or fix requests from users? I dunno.

I really like the pedal, don't regret buying it, and use it as part of my performance setup (and I am very picky about my setup). But, I still feel a bit let down.
dvsmusic

Postby dvsmusic » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:44 pm

with regards to this, has anybody tried the softstep with OS 10.8? I just assumed that it was compatible. I'm about to embark on a 3 week tour with it at the center of my performance and it isn't registering inside of ableton or the softstep editors. super ouch.

www.dvsmusic.com
pmgo

Postby pmgo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:55 am

i guess it's all about the quneo now.
Last edited by pmgo on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”