Really need Help!

Get help from other SoftStep users.
Dave

Really need Help!

Postby Dave » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:26 pm

I use the SoftStep for live performances in Standalone mode to control the Overloud TH2 amp simulator. I need to be able to use the up,down,left,right nav pads to send out notes or CCs or something in order to navigate patches. Any help is MUCH APPRECIATED. Thanks.
adamqlw

Re: Really need Help!

Postby adamqlw » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:44 am

I think you need to be a little more clear on what you are trying to do here. One typically navigates patches by sending Program Change messages. Why specifically do you need to use the Nav pad to do this? If you are referring to navigating through program changes in decades, when used in combination with the 1-0 keys, then yes, this is possible. If you are referring to just the Nav pad on its own, I can't conceive a practical application of this. In any event, Nav pad functions are dealt with in pages 37-39 of the manual.
Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:28 am

Thanks for the reply. I have all 10 pads assigned to control the effects of each scene. I also have the x nav pad set to move between 8 different scenes. I' like for the Y nav pad to move up and down thru the presets (each preset has 8 scenes) by sending a CC or note each time I step on the +Y and a didderent CC or note each time I step on the -Y pads. As I mentioned I use the SoftStep exclusively in the standalone mode. Thanks.
adamqlw

Postby adamqlw » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:40 pm

I think the short answer to that question is in a straight forward way, that's not possible.

However.

I suppose you can conceivably get this done using a program like MIDI Pipe (that's Mac friendly, not sure what the windows equivalent is).

From the manual:
Tip: In Standalone mode there is a way to turn off scene changing and instead just get pressure data from each corner. In the settings window you can tun Scene Changing on or off. Set this to off and you will get pressure coming in on CC #s: CC 80 (left side), CC 81 (right side), CC 82 (top), and CC 83 (bottom). If you do decide to turn scene changing off but still wish to be able to change scenes on your SoftStep you can do this by sending program change messages to your SoftStep. See the Sending Program Changes to the SoftStep chapter of this manual for more information.

If you used MIDI pipe to remap those fixed CC messages into the ones that you want to be sending to TH2, you can potentially make this work. You would probably be able to use MIDI Pipe to "loop back" the CC message to the SoftStep as a program change message to change scenes.

Good luck.
Dave

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:39 am

Is it possible to have the Y Nav Inc-Dec source increment/decrement by 1 each time the pads are pressed? This would solve my dilemma. Thanks.
rad3d

Postby rad3d » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:03 am

Dave wrote:Is it possible to have the Y Nav Inc-Dec source increment/decrement by 1 each time the pads are pressed? This would solve my dilemma. Thanks.
I don't believe so. I had been trying to do the same thing for a while and haven't found a way from the nav buttons.

And using a PC (MIDI Pipe solution) seems like it goes against your need for Standalone Mode, as I think you'd have more options running in Full Mode if you were attached to a PC.

What about hooking up an expression controller? I think you might be able to trigger some additional CCs and Note values in Standalone mode based on certain expression pedal changes. I haven't tried this yet, but will be soon.
Dave

Postby Dave » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks for the reply. I do have an expression pedal connected but it's dedicated as a wah/vol pedal.

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”