KMI Softstep and Eventide Stomboxes

Get help from other SoftStep users.
luedmo

KMI Softstep and Eventide Stomboxes

Postby luedmo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:02 am

Hi

I bought the KMI softstep for my Eventide stompboxes. I tried the factory Time Factor (TF) scene - which works fine, but this is limited to simple CC messages accessing the TF knobs parameters.

When I go in deeper to access the more essential Eventide MIDI-assignable functions such as RPT, LOOPER Play / Rec / Stop - I am unable to make the suggested factory TOGGLES modline work using the CC messages. Well it works, but not quite...

What happens is that the Eventides do react but they need not one but 2 foot-presses to achieve what is needed. In other words I have to double-press the SS key to get the Eventides to switch mode. I need a single foot-press to generate a full ON-OFF.

Using Editor (ver 1.21 - 1494) in Hosted Mode I tried every combination of modlines' sources, tables etc. and twice I became quite excited when I managed to get 2 modlines, using "toggle 127" as the "table" setting, to flip the values 0 and 127 so that a single foot-press switched the RPT function ON and OFF. Then, on saving to Standalone this stopped working... And I can't repeat the "accident".

Does anyone out there know how to set up a KMI softstep so that it sends out a full ON/OFF message to an Eventide stompbox over CC? My apologies for dim newbie question, but it's been 20 years since I touched MIDI

Best wishes

:L
luedmo

Re: KMI Softstep and Eventide Stomboxes

Postby luedmo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:21 am

small (positive) update:
==========================
I inserted a "Modline 1 output" modline after the main "Foot on" modline with -1 as the gain and a 127 as the offset. In the main "Foot On" modline I also set the min to 127, same as the max.

This is now flipping the mode in the Eventide TF from ON, to OFF, and back again every time I hit a key.
:-)

If anyone knows of a more reliable method, please post here! Thanks

luedmo

Postby luedmo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 am

version: 1.21 1494
Standalone Mode
Main Editor

Further to previous post...

CORRECTION: The toggle modline which switches the MIDI-enabled Eventide delay pedal ON/OFF with one foot press only works because the min and a max both set to 127. The "Output from Modline 1" is in fact irrelevant.

Next issue: the LEDs seem to react only to the output of the modline; which means that they do not (necessarily) come ON when the pedal is ON, and OFF when the pedal is off. Behaviour is a bit unpredictable.

I have tried, somewhat randomly, to insert some init modlines, but they seem to have no effect.

As it is quite hard to edit in Standalone mode (a constant saving & downloading to SS) I suspect that not only is my choice of modline incorrect but also I am making a mistake somewhere else...

I continue the experiment, but if anyone out there has any idea, I wd be very grateful :)

luedmo

Postby luedmo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:24 am

SOLUTION
================
the modline needs to be set to Lin with the GAIN set to 127
that then leaves you with an LED problem which can be solved by using a second modline which is set to "Output from Modline" and set to "toggle 127"

that way you can switch on and off (or off and on) eventide stompbox innardly functions

QED
luedmo

Postby luedmo » Mon May 20, 2013 3:45 am

FYI - Eventide ver 1.8.x of their FactorLib currently mangles some (but not all) of my MIDI settings. I have tried to sort thsi out but it appears to be a bug in FactorLib.

Therefore until that is sorted out beware of trying to learn to get a Softstep working while saving patches :-)

st.bede

Postby st.bede » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:18 pm

I do not understand your solution.
emmett@KMI

Postby emmett@KMI » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:01 am

I don't have an eventide to test on but I have some advice. Often times when we get this kind of behavior it is because the receiving device is fulfilling the toggle behavior, therefore the controller just needs to send a trigger. By that I do not mean the 'trigger' source, but rather a momentary full-on message (127). Each time you send the same trigger, the receiving device will alternate it's parameter as it toggles off then on, etc..

If we set the SoftStep to toggle mode then you will have to press the key twice to get the parameter to change each time because both the controller and the receiving device are both set to toggle.

To fix this issue, use the 'foot on' source with a linear table (no toggle) and a gain of 1 (default), basically all default values. If this doesn't work let me know.
luedmo

Postby luedmo » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:33 am

Hi Emmet,

Sorry to be awhile responding ;) - that works great!

I used the basic TOGGLE preset (TOGL) which has 2 lines - 1. Softstep Share and 2. for Softstep Expander
NB: we have to change <Table> setting on 2. from TOGGLE to LINEAR, The other one (1.) seems to do nothing...

This all means the SS2 can activate the Eventide "performance switches" which, inside the H9, is especially useful because there is no other easy way to activate these features without plugging in an external footswitch (i.e. a Digitech FS3x) which eats up real-estate on the pedalboard, plus also we lose flexibility in terms of what them FS3x switches can do.

Thanks again Emmet!

:Lu

emmett@KMI wrote:I don't have an eventide to test on but I have some advice. Often times when we get this kind of behavior it is because the receiving device is fulfilling the toggle behavior, therefore the controller just needs to send a trigger. By that I do not mean the 'trigger' source, but rather a momentary full-on message (127). Each time you send the same trigger, the receiving device will alternate it's parameter as it toggles off then on, etc..

If we set the SoftStep to toggle mode then you will have to press the key twice to get the parameter to change each time because both the controller and the receiving device are both set to toggle.

To fix this issue, use the 'foot on' source with a linear table (no toggle) and a gain of 1 (default), basically all default values. If this doesn't work let me know.
luedmo

Postby luedmo » Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:08 pm

Hi Emmet

It works, and...
...I wondered how to get the LED to turn RED when it is On and Green when it is OFF?
answer: I messed about and put the modline #1 back to <TOGGLE> set the Green LEDs to be FALSE and Red LED to be TRUE
Seems like it worked :-)

Any other tips appreciated! still a newbie here

Thanks

:Lu

emmett@KMI wrote:I don't have an eventide to test on but I have some advice. Often times when we get this kind of behavior it is because the receiving device is fulfilling the toggle behavior, therefore the controller just needs to send a trigger. By that I do not mean the 'trigger' source, but rather a momentary full-on message (127). Each time you send the same trigger, the receiving device will alternate it's parameter as it toggles off then on, etc..

Return to “SoftStep Users' Help Exchange”