Convert from Max to Cocoa, please!

Share your wishes for the future of SoftStep.
Levous

Re: Convert from Max to Cocoa, please!

Postby Levous » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:32 am

Keith wrote:Hi,

I understand your comments and appreciate the mem hit the SoftStep Application/Editor/Display program causes. But we have a specific set of priorities and schedule that makes this now the case.

1. Cross-Platform: cocoa is not Cross-Platform. It is Mac only.

2. Ability to add features and functions. We are pretty responsive to user requests for features and functions. this can be done because we have a development environment (Max) that makes this possible.

3. Standalone: We specifically created Standalone to reduce the memory hit to zero.

While efficiency and memory hogging is always on our list of concerns, the ability to roll all of the functionality into a cross platform app that we can rapidly add features and function trumped that goal.

We will also be adding conversion from Hosted to Standalone Scene saving to help make Standalone more powerful. I long for the day when we have all of the user function/feature requests in place and we can focus on memory use. But for now we recommend Standalone.

-Keith

Thanks for responding.

I'm a software developer so I can respect your statement that responding with features quickly across platforms is important. However, you cannot compromise its reliability toward its intended purpose so that windows users can use it and leave those features out of stand alone. Or at least you shouldn't. You aren't, by chance, off-shoring are you :) Invest up front or pay for it down the road. Its a hard choice...

I can't tell you how to do your job. Obviously, the products you have developed are brilliant and pure innovation. This kind of bleeding edge has its challenges.

If the chosen platform for development is so incredibly inefficient that there isn't anything you can do to fix it and there isn't a reasonable alternative, can you consider one of three things? (or more!)
Support all features in stand-alone
Provide a library for raw access so that developers like me can build a better app
build a light app that is rock solid (and uses appropriate memory and launches immediately) but only provides access to the scene and pad host mode editor necessary for live performance?

Thanks so much for your work and contribution. I certainly want to leave you with the understanding that we are so excited about this. Some people have a hard time being respectful when they ask for more.
ruizcomposer

Postby ruizcomposer » Wed May 23, 2012 1:40 am

Keith wrote:Hi,

I understand your comments and appreciate the mem hit the SoftStep Application/Editor/Display program causes. But we have a specific set of priorities and schedule that makes this now the case.

1. Cross-Platform: cocoa is not Cross-Platform. It is Mac only.

2. Ability to add features and functions. We are pretty responsive to user requests for features and functions. this can be done because we have a development environment (Max) that makes this possible.

3. Standalone: We specifically created Standalone to reduce the memory hit to zero.

While efficiency and memory hogging is always on our list of concerns, the ability to roll all of the functionality into a cross platform app that we can rapidly add features and function trumped that goal.

We will also be adding conversion from Hosted to Standalone Scene saving to help make Standalone more powerful. I long for the day when we have all of the user function/feature requests in place and we can focus on memory use. But for now we recommend Standalone.

-Keith

Well, it seems to me that priorities are very different from those on the list.
I would rather say that there is only one: Developing new hardware trying to reach new customers (12 steps, QuNeo) and, unfortunately, selling smoke (cases and buttons) to them.
If pretty responsive means being nine months since the last software update without giving solutions to customers, what it would be not been responsive???????? Acts, no words!!!!!!
Not only stand alone is limited, but risky in live performance (when it should be 120% safe), It shows weird, ilogical and random behaviour too often when trying to program it.
Sorry, it is hard to say and harder to listen up: You have great hardware engineers, update your team, get a better software crew, because right now the big revolution of your company its been questioned everywhere. I do not care if it's cocoa, max, pure data or cobol :-) I just do not want to waste my time looking for workarounds, and when on stage, not having to pray god, knowing that people who paid their tickets may be very upset for waiting me to reset my dear pretty responsive foot controller.
mocker

Postby mocker » Thu May 31, 2012 3:00 pm

With such exaggeration, you might not get any interesting feedback. I'm using the SS in live situations all the time, and in standalone mode and I'm having no trouble at all. One it's set up, it works as expected. BTW, controlling the leds and display with Bome's Midi Translator and NOT the SS app. A lot more possibilities.

Return to “SoftStep Feature Wishlist”