Incremental Button Tap Values?

Share your wishes for the future of SoftStep.
soundog

Incremental Button Tap Values?

Postby soundog » Thu May 19, 2011 6:40 pm

This may be achievable with the current sw, but if so I haven't figured it out.

I would like to be able to send a different value (be it CC or note#) everytime I tap a specific button, where the value output would increment with each button tap. I would guess each tap would go to the next modline for the button. The number of value output options would be dictated by the number of modlines turned on, so the user could cycle through the modlines by tapping the button, sort of like an if...then statement.

Application: User might use a button set up to determine which instruments will be bussed to a looper. One tap of the button would turn the LED green, and send CC or note# to send guitar only to the looper. Second tap would blink the LED green, indicating that sax only is bussed to the looper (different CC or note# output). Third tap would light LED red, indicating that vocal is bussed to the looper (third, different CC or note). Fourth tap goes back to square 1, cycle through again....
jfunk

Re: Incremental Button Tap Values?

Postby jfunk » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:40 pm

Love this idea.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Definitely a good idea.

You can somewhat do this in Hosted mode. It'll only work for MIDI notes and program changes at the moment, not CCs. I've attached a screenshot of how you can do this.

The top portion uses the key counter. The "Foot On" source increments the key counter by using the "Counter Inc" table. I've set the key counter's "min/max" values to 7 and 9 (these I just chose arbitrarily, you can set them to whatever you like) so that the counter loops through the values 7, 8, 9. This counter value is then received in the second modline by using the "Modline 1 Output" source. This takes the values from the counter and sends them out as MIDI note numbers by using the "Note Live" source (this will also work with program changes). So this is essentially rotating through MIDI notes 7-9 with each key press.

There is, however, a small bug with this method. I noticed that regardless of what you set the key counter's minimum value to, the counter will always start from zero until you reach the maximum value, then it will begin wrapping properly between the min and max values. We plan to fix this for the next update of the software. For now I would suggest starting your counter loops from 0 or 1.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
softstep-counter.png
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
ericzang

Postby ericzang » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:47 am

+1

Return to “SoftStep Feature Wishlist”