Keystrokes ?

Share your wishes for the future of SoftStep.
mocker

Keystrokes ?

Postby mocker » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:55 am

Ability to send keystrokes without having to use apps like Bome Midi Translator.

Btw, anybody has an idea about the possibility to mimic the AirTurn footswitch with the Softstep ?
It's a bluetooth footswitch that allows to turn pages while reading music on an iPad, in most pdf/music reading apps. That is using the USB camera connector.
Would be fantastic.
Last edited by mocker on Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
gtodd876

Re: Keystrokes ?

Postby gtodd876 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:31 am

I know you said you don't want to use apps but I wanted to make sure you'd checked out Midistroke. It's a free, and very lightweight program that I have used in the past to translate midi to keystroke. This is a great feature request though.
-your fellow loopin' bassist
http://vimeo.com/channels/gtmbass
Double Bass Live Looping
mocker

Postby mocker » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:45 am

I didn't even know Midistroke was still working with 10.6.
Not only I used it a lot in the past but I helped for the french localization :-). But I kind of lost track of it.
Will (re) check it out.

I promise I'll post some bass looping example sooner or later.
Keith
Head Honcho

Postby Keith » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:09 am

Hi,

This, and a bunch of things that will really buff out the SS will be in the works soon. We can only program 14 hours a day so we need to prioritize. If the function can be accomplished by a 3rd party add-on I have put it off for now. As one who just can't leave good enough alone, you can be certain there will be regular updates and improved / added functionality.

Keith
mocker

Postby mocker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:26 am

Thanks Keith and since it's our first conversation, congratulations for the SS.

Third party is OK except in the case of the iPad. What I'd like to do is use the SS as a page turner in apps like GigBook or Music Reader etc. These apps only need a page up page down message ! To my knowledge there is nothing that could translate midi messages to keystrokes on the iPad yet.
Keith
Head Honcho

Postby Keith » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:56 am

If you can get me a command string that will page forward and back and maybe do song select (or connect me with someone who would know) I would definitely consider this. I have had several requests besides yours and I really do not see a 3rd party solution.

Keith
mocker

Postby mocker » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:30 pm

Very cool, thanks a lot, Keith.
I'll forward you DeepDish's answer to my request. It's the company who made GigBook.
Then if you need more info (song select, very good idea), you can contact them directly. What's the best email address to reach you ?

Edit : OK I found the PM button :-). So I've forwarded you the message from DeepDish…
mocker

Postby mocker » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:03 pm

BTW, Keith, unless I missed it, I didn't see anything related to keystrokes in the RC1 version. Does it mean we'll have to wait for the next version ? I understood that you wanted to include it right away.
Also, have you received my PM with DeepDish's email (the guys who make GigBook) ?
Thanks.
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:59 pm

Hi
surely these programs respond to some sort of MIDI or OSC messages? There are the dominant comms in computer music today. That would be one of the first things to implement I would have thought. THat way you could have songs associated with patch numbers quite easily etc. etc etc
Do either of these programs publish any info on messages received and mapped etc.

You may want to look into wireless usb extenders for the other idea . .

Cheers
MM
KMI StringPort_1650, SoftStep_VK2 v1.2 & MIDI Expander; Mac_Moore Guitar,
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
Keith
Head Honcho

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:00 am

Hi,

We will support keystrokes but not in 1.1. Mac and Win already have the script / text programs so this de-prioritized the need. I do see that for Standalone with iPad this would be a plus so it is on the list for 1.2.

Keith

Return to “SoftStep Feature Wishlist”