Keystrokes ?

Share your wishes for the future of SoftStep.
mocker

Re: Keystrokes ?

Postby mocker » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:47 am

[quote="Macciza"]Hi
You may want to look into wireless usb extenders for the other idea . .
Cheers
MM[/quote]

I don't care about buying an expensive wireless remote that only sends page up and page down. We own a great footswitch,it's a very simple task and it should pretty sooon be able to do it and much more, according to Keith. So let's be patient and wait for 1.2 (not very easy).
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Hi
The 'wireless usb extender' idea comment was only meant as a way of implementing wirelessness for SS. I was not suggesting a dedicated device that sends page turns, Altough that said , you could very easily break open a keyboard an hack it to send the keystrokes you need, Use a BT /wifi keyboard and voila problem solved.

Yes I agree it it is a simple task, that is why I am amazed that the apps you mention do not use MIDI. What do you do if you want to play back a midi track and sync it to the page displays? Personally, I would also be writing to the developers of the apps and asking them why they don't respond to MIDI? It is a musical standard.

Cheers
MM
KMI StringPort_1650, SoftStep_VK2 v1.2 & MIDI Expander; Mac_Moore Guitar,
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
mocker

Postby mocker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:01 am

Yeah, you're absolutely right about midi support by those apps. I think we're just at the beginnning of something and they will have to adapt soon. I'll definitely suggest these guys to implement midi.
The keyboard hack idea : I actually thought of it, but how exactly do you get a footswitch starting from a kb, in the end ? Not that simple.
Thanks for your suggestions anyway. The fact Softstep is using Max makes me confident, they will find a clean way of sending keystrokes for us iPad freaks. :-)
Macciza

Postby Macciza » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Hi
Have done a couple of keyboard hacks before. Basically after breaking the keyboard open it all comes down to a usually tiny board that receives the signals from the keys. Either trace the circuit you need or use trial and error to find the key connection you need, then solder new wires from that to your switch and chuck it all in a jiffy box to make it neat. Not too hard, probably some project info on the net somewhere as well.
I once helped a young technophobe do exactly this and she was amazed at how simple it actually was.

Hope that help,
MM
KMI StringPort_1650, SoftStep_VK2 v1.2 & MIDI Expander; Mac_Moore Guitar,
Roland VG 8, 88 & 99, YamahaVL 70m; OSX 10.6.8, iMac i7 2.8G QC; MaxMSP 5.1.8, Ableton Live 8.2.2, M4L, SC3, QC, cSound, etc, etc,
mocker

Postby mocker » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:51 am

I'll think of it. The thing is I have to sacrify a wireless keyboard with no garantee of a clean result :-)
I'll let you know if/when I need some help.
Kaspar

Postby Kaspar » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:01 am

[quote="mocker"]I'll think of it. The thing is I have to sacrify a wireless keyboard with no garantee of a clean result :-)
I'll let you know if/when I need some help.[/quote]

Test it with a cheap wired one.
Keith
Head Honcho

Postby Keith » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:20 am

Hi,

I have been thinking about how to do this for iPad and see a problem if the app you use does not accept MIDI. For Mac and Win OS these 3rd party applications act as the interface between MIDI and the OS.

SoftStep shows up as a class compliant MIDI device which is why we can talk to iPad MIDI apps. We will need to have something that takes SS and turns it into messages that are HI (human interface) messages such as what comes from a keyboard or mouse. So even if we sent text to the iPad another applet is needed to redirect the text to your app.

So it is never as easy as it should be. Please ask the applications authors about this issue of not receiving MIDI. It really should do this if it is a music device.

I'll keep thinking about this, but I believe this is the present roadblock.

= Keith
mocker

Postby mocker » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks Keith, I'll ask the programmers.
Actually, you're right, it would make sense that they implement midi in a music app.

I'll let you know if I get an interesting answer.

Return to “SoftStep Feature Wishlist”