2 way communication w/ softstep

Share your wishes for the future of SoftStep.
NoFi

2 way communication w/ softstep

Postby NoFi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:44 am

I have a GORDIUS little giant midi foot controller, it has 2 way communication meaning if i use it with usb or two midi cables (one from the little giant midi out to the PC, and one from the PC to the little giant midi in) it allows any changes i make in the software to be reflected on the foot controller.

Example, let's say i have a footswitch on the controller set up as a toggle to control the on/off state of an effect in usine or ableton live.
Of course if i press the footswitch on the controller the effect turns on in the software.
Now, if i turn the effect off in the software (with the mouse), the led associated with the footswitch on the controler shuts down indicating the effect has been turned off.... really cool visual feedback.

This is not currently possible with softstep, is this correct or am i missing something ?
Thanks.
NoFi

Re: 2 way communication w/ softstep

Postby NoFi » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:15 am

Well it seems that this is possible to some extent by using the 8 midi inputs but it is quite limited from what i gather.
Each MIDI IN line is limited to one note / program change or Controller number.
Then in the KEYs modlines, the MIDI INput can be selected and it is possible to change the state of a Led but i don't think it's possible to assign another modline as a destination.

So if in KEY 1, i have modline 1 with a toggle speaking to the software through CC number 10.
And modline 2 with a MIDI in from the software CC 10 speaking to the led.

So the software can speak back to the led, but it cannot speak back to the toggle in another modline and they are not truly synchronized.

Maybe there is another way to do it ?
TJ-Shredder

Postby TJ-Shredder » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:06 pm

In hostmode you can control the leds with midi controllers directly. So it should be possible. The midi commands have to be translated correctly though. Its a snap in Max/MSP or MaxForLive...
futureGlue

Postby futureGlue » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:05 pm

So is this at all possible in standalone mode? ie get a midi out from traktor to turn on or off the led according to the software state.

Given the number of applications/processes running allready I cannot imagine running the softstep in hosted mode and if it's not possible at this time I hope this will be in the next update!

Cheers.
NoFi

Postby NoFi » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:22 pm

It works in standalone using the midi CC numbers mentionned in another thread.
Could not get this to work in hosted because the software could not speak to the softstep directly but only to the softstep editor software... but i guess this was before i installed the last update, maybe i should try again.

Anyhow mapping the software parameters to the correct softstep led midi cc's is a major pain (im not using max) and it's not the same as real two way communication IE for example with a pad on the softstep you send CC24 to toggle on a switch in the software, then using the computer mouse, you press on the switch in the software to turn it off and it sends CC24 to the softstep and the softstep hardware is updated accordingly (led turns off on the softstep). Simple, no mapping needed... the softstep reflects the state of the program at all times.
futureGlue

Postby futureGlue » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:49 am

If 2 way communication is possible, what are the correct midi cc's to the SS leds? What page is this on in the manual (I couldn't find it).

Resolving this issue would be a real biggie for me. Right now this is what's stopping me from developing more SoftStep mappings and using it for more than just simple looping triggers.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
TheSupport@KMI

Postby TheSupport@KMI » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:29 am

CCs 20-29 for red.
CCs 110-119 for green.

Coupled with a value of 0 for off, 1 for on, 2 for slow blink, 3 for fast blink.
2, 3, 5, 13, 89, 233, 1597, 28657, 514229, 433494437, 2971215073
futureGlue

Postby futureGlue » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:26 pm

Cheers Carson, will try this tonight :)

Return to “SoftStep Feature Wishlist”